Home > Trip Reports > October 31, 2004, Mt. Hood Meadows Bowls

October 31, 2004, Mt. Hood Meadows Bowls

10/31/04
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Jeff Huber on 10/31/04 10:14am
Conditions were absurdly good today. Mt Hood Meadows remains closed which is to the gain of backcountry skiers. I arrived at the Meadows closed gate around 9am were I followed a party of 2 and their cute pooch, Luna, from Hood River into 4 bowl. Skinning up it was windy, cold and their were intermittent dark clouds. In 4 bowl conditions were great: 5-10"s of relatively light snow on-top a supportive base. Snow conditions would be like this virtually the rest of the day. At the base of 4 bowl I met Andy P--who is a TAY poster!--and his significant other Ann. Like me, Andy and Ann just completed their first consecutive year of skiing. We continued making laps of the various bowls. As the day went on the weather improved, the temp warmed and the wind lessened. Towards the end of the day Andy and Ann's friends, Ravin and her husband also named Andy (we'll call him Andrew per Ravin's suggestion) showed up. I did a couple laps with them before heading home. The snow remained fun all day but where it had received lots of sunshine it was transforming into breakable crust.

Here's Andy turning in the pow, note the smoke trailing him:

I took an astounding 221 photos today, a lot of which came out really well. It was tough to choose one photo to post so I posted more at TTips here.

Maybe Charles will let me submit photos for a home page gallery? Please? I don't think there's been a gallery from Hood yet :-)
I've had a few of those 200+ photo days too - it usually means that conditions were great. I'd love to make a home page gallery from your photos - check your TAY PMs for some details.

Nice skiing and meeting you, Jeff.  We had a great day.  Sun and light fluffy powder!

Great pictures, Jeff!!!  Who is that skiing in pics #1 and #2 on TTips?

Great pictures, Jeff!!!  Who is that skiing in pics #1 and #2 on TTips?

I didn't actually know when I took that photo, but I was just told by a TTips poster it is Chris Kelly of Hood River. Kelly owns Stormwarning which is a windsurfing and bc gear shop in Hood River. I had my camera in high-speed burst mode so I got several shots of him just like the first two.

Thanks for the gallery offer Charles! I'll be sending you photos this evening.

Thanks Jeff for posting the photos to TAY.  Ravin and I had a great time riding with you guys on HALLOWEEN!  We ending up staying late and trick or treating through the trees until dark with more treats than tricks.  

Reply to this TR

october-31-2004-mt-hood-meadows-bowls
Jeff Huber
2004-10-31 18:14:08