telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
04/24/14, 11:31 AM

Solar Halo over Tahoma
on TAY home page

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2004 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  Sept.-Oct. 2004 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  October 31, 2004, Paradise!
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: October 31, 2004, Paradise!  (Read 10402 times)
Robie

October 31, 2004, Paradise!
« on: 10/31/04, 02:07 PM »

October powder! I'm calling it powder and you ain't taking me out of this time. Gate opened at 945am after about 3 false starts. Nothing like like skiing with old friends and some new friends. We decided to stay low and play in the almost 2' snow depth. 12" Freshies Êlaid down in under 30 temps over older snow. Willing particpants included denziens of this site.Namely Skinut ,Mad dog, Snoslut,JW,Andy ,Regine,Michael,John and myself. Our route took us up Edith creek basin and back down to horseshoe bend ,up mazama ridge to back bowl where various lines of varying steepness were skied.
Finally back down to Mazama. ÊI got so amped up on the first run I skied off without my pack. JW therefore had to ski down with 2 packs a back one and a front one. To add insult to injury My pack had never skied that good !
there were Reports of clear blue skis on the Muir above the Pan point Fog. Almost no wind. Cornices just starting here and there lots of places to still be careful of submerged rocks.
This was a good start to a new year continuing 90 year tradition of Mountaineer Backcountry skiing at Paradise.
Remember at one time there was only one kind of skiing and it was all backcountry.
Robie
« Last Edit: 01/01/05, 01:06 PM by admin » Logged

"I bought my rope at Walmart ,my gloves at costco but paid dearly for my dynafits"
Apparant Moderator of what sucks
Mad_Dog

Re: OCt.31 2004, Paradise!
« Reply #1 on: 11/01/04, 12:54 AM »

It really was one of the best early season starts I've ever had, great frineds and fantastic snow.  Grin  Who would have thought you could get light freshies at the end of October.  In fact, in the honor of Halloween, we even named one of our "new" runs, "Black Cat Run"   Cool  

You Know, I think Elvis lives, Wink I believe he was also enjoying the freshies yesterday.  
« Last Edit: 11/01/04, 01:06 AM by Mad_Dog » Logged

There is nothing worse than refusing to learn: this is where old age begins.

Jeanette
snoslut

« Reply #2 on: 11/01/04, 01:40 AM »

Elvis was definitely in the house and skiing at Paradise!

Ah...carving freshies on Halloween with friends is always a good way to start or should I say transition from summer to winter.

Only thing missing was the captain himself, Ronj.

You will know when Americas in trouble when the Mexicans stop coming...Carlos Mencia
mfaoro

« Reply #3 on: 11/01/04, 03:37 AM »

I had a great time. That is the best October powder I have ever skied - wait - thats the only October powder (or snow for that matter) that I have ever skied.

Mad Dog, JW, and Robie - thanks for organizing and letting Scott and I tag along! Ill post some pics as soon as I figure out what I did with my camera Smiley.

Michael

Michael Faoro
michaelfaoro.com
Straka
5Member

« Reply #4 on: 11/01/04, 04:25 AM »

I guess I'll officially end my days of lurking on TAY and post a big thank you for letting us tag along yesterday and share in the pow! Grin  Really enjoyed meeting everyone and sharing some nice boot deep turns on Halloween of all things!    

Here's a link to my webshots account and some pics from yesterday...  http://community.webshots.com/user/scott_straka

JW/Mad Dog/Eric... very impressed with your killer uptrack in the back bowls.  I think there's a pic of it.  Glad we were only watching from the bottom Wink

Scott
Mad_Dog

« Reply #5 on: 11/01/04, 10:43 AM »

Scott, nice photos.  The snow was perfect for skinning as well, so Jerry just kept going until we reached the top in that back bowl.  Being that we had just climbed what we were going to ski, gave us the info we needed for the great ski down in that deep fluff with no hidden surprises  Grin  Nice to have you and Michael join in on the fun. Cheesy

Jeanette
JW

« Reply #6 on: 11/01/04, 01:30 PM »

Hey what a great way to spend Halloween! I even got in a little Sherpa training  Wink  Thanks Scott for posting the great photos. My computer and  video camera are not getting along, so I'm delayed editing this weeks production. Soon I hope, thanks to all it was fun! Cool

"You keep skiing, I'll keep filming"
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #7 on: 11/01/04, 05:50 PM »

Hey, way to take one for the team, gang.  Sorry I missed it.  
Great pics, Scott.  
Thanks for the honorable mention, Eric.

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
“Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.” - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
Mad_Dog

« Reply #8 on: 11/02/04, 02:31 AM »

"Paradise" - a place of great beauty or happiness.  

That's one definition from the dictionary, and Sunday, Paradise was truly a place of happiness.   Grin

You can view a few more photos at
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/paridise103104.msnw

Jeanette
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #9 on: 11/02/04, 02:53 AM »

Nice lens work there, MadDog.

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
“Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.” - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
JW

« Reply #10 on: 11/20/04, 09:44 AM »

The long awaited video is hereby released!  Visit http://home.comcast.net/~jwvideo/images/Blackcat20.wmvto check it out

"You keep skiing, I'll keep filming"
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.