Home > Trip Reports > January 18, 2011, Summit West Exercise

January 18, 2011, Summit West Exercise

1/18/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Zap on 1/18/11 9:17am
These are desperate times!  ::) Seeing it was actually snowing at Snoqualmie late Tuesday morning, I admitted I needed some exercise.  After cancelling our Mission and White Pass trip, I was running out of easy home projects. Plus I had some boot work done and I needed to test them before teaching on Wednesday evening. I started skinning at West around noon and there was about an inch of new heavy snow, 31 degrees.  The area was deserted €“ absolutely no one was around.  It snowed during the few hours I was cycling the slopes.  Probably received another inch during my visit.  The slopes still had great coverage.  I noticed a couple of openings which were easily avoided even in the constant snow squalls.  The slopes had not been groomed since the last day they were open.  I was pleasantly surprised that I did NOT encounter any rain runnels. The heavy snow skied nicely and the base surface was not icy.  I keep reading that it will be sunny on Wednesday.  With the few inches of new, it should smooth the ski area surfaces nicely.
attaway, Zap!

Similar conditions at Hyak today, a few big streambed "moats" have opened up mid-run, but skiing was surprisingly good, especially at the top.

author=Zap link=topic=19117.msg81033#msg81033 date=1295399877]
I was running out of easy home projects. 

I read you on that bit.  :)
Hopefully some consistent coverage is headed our way.  Just in time for your road trip?

x-country is always an option (from the Sierra skier)

Reply to this TR

january-18-2011-summit-west-exercise
Zap
2011-01-18 17:17:57