Home > Trip Reports > October 26, 2004, Seattle Park

October 26, 2004, Seattle Park

10/26/04
WA elsewhere
Posted by storm on 10/26/04 8:03pm
I headed up to Seattle Park MRNP. Wanting to see if it would be worth pushing into for a winter trip. I was without my skies. I did find about four inches of snow at 5500 and maybe six inches at 6300 feet. There were plenty of rocks and brush. Not worth a ski just yet. My high point was a little Summit 6310 just below  the cross over into Spray Park.  With another storm should be worth another look. It was a long walk in.
.... It was a long walk in.

I'll bet it was. did you hike in from the Mowich side (up the Grindstone Trail) or from the Ipsut Creek side?

Storm ,I did that years ago from ipsut , but memory fails me. If I remember its about 16 mi rt to Observation rock. If there was low snow one could ski the trail back ?
Other destination from that trailhead is Old Desolate. Loss of daylight hours doesn't  help in these wanderings .

I walked in from Ipsut. It is about 16 miles round trip. I figured with the Mowich Lake road closed it would be more interesting.

Does anyone know if the park service keeps Ipsut open year round? I figure they would unless the road washes out.

Storm

I think one could ski the trail back down. Certainly from Cataract Valley Camp 4600 ft. Above that I think the trail would be hard to recognize. Good map reading above there.

storm

Storm ,
road is open all year unless washed out .I think this trips works best as a 2 or 3 day er in the spring. I can see Spray park,Observation and echo rock form my house and it drives me crazy that the road to mowich or near there is usually passable but gated in Spring. Even from Mowich the trip up the russell gl is a marathon. But a fun one.

Reply to this TR

october-26-2004-seattle-park
storm
2004-10-27 03:03:24