Home > Trip Reports > January 9, 2011, Video: Perfection on Goat Mtn.

January 9, 2011, Video: Perfection on Goat Mtn.

1/9/11
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by allenat@ylor on 1/12/11 6:19am
I already put up pictures from this day, here is the full video from our trip to Goat mountain. Brian, Tyler and I took advantage of one day of stable sunny powder. The hill delivered and everything went as well as it could have. We got in 3 laps and made the last lap in the fading alpenglow. It was surely a day to remember.

Click on the picture to see the video:

Enjoy!
im drooling.  sick.

Stellar job yet again Allen.  It really was a memorable/amazing day.

This video was refreshing to watch after skiing goo at Baker today. 

Great edit. Nice wide shots and excellent choice on the soundtrack (good instrumentals are hard to find. Thank god for sampling/looping). Keep 'em coming, though it definitely made the current weather hurt just a little worse. :D

Best video i've seen all year.  Not the head cam thing, great composition and lighting. The skiers did a great job too of not making it into a million turn countdown. Super stuff, look forward to more of that!

Nice work capturing Tyler's mind being blown about 2 minutes in

author=cityhick link=topic=19004.msg80552#msg80552 date=1294900938]

ehh, sometimes I tend to be a little more vocal than necessary...

author=Joedabaker link=topic=19004.msg80542#msg80542 date=1294896377]
Best video i've seen all year.

Really Allen, great edit, brings me back to Sunday over and over again.

Allen, what are you shooting with?  You've got some great shot selection and a steady hand (or good use of pole/backpack/tree) to make for some stable shots.  Really nicely done.

That was a really good video.  Good angles for your shots.

Holy crap that looks fun!  Nice job guys.

Wow. Well done!
Shots in the alpenglow are professional grade.

The setup i"m using is:
Vanguard Carbon tripod.
Manfrotto 701 HDV Fluid Head
Canon 7D with 28-135mm, f3.5-5.6. (the crappy kit lens, I want to get the L 24-105 f4)
I use a Hahnel Intervalometer for the time lapses.

I just recently got a rode videomic but I don't take it into the BC so all the audio in the video is from the on board mic.

The 7D (and I believe all other Video DSLR's) lack any video stabilization (lens stabilizers only work for long exposure stills) so you basically have to bring the tripod+fluid head if you are planning on getting decent footage. If I don't bring the tripod I just shoot stills. I still can't get over how much I love that camera, being able to shoot great stills, video, and time lapses with the same camera is awesome.

It all weighs around 12 lbs. I carry it almost every day so I try not to realize how light my bag could be. As long as I carry it all every day the extra weight is the normal weight and I'm just that much more fit. My day pack is probably 30-35 lbs.

The thing I'm trying to accomplish is to not hinder the ski experience by filming. I will err on the side of taking a bunch of shots and having a high throw away rate rather than spending a bunch of time on setting up a few elaborate shots. I'm also not willing to sacrifice my own skiing to get good shots. For example to shoot the long runs in the middle of the video I stopped about 10 mins from the top of the ridge and let Brian and Tyler go ahead. After they skied I raced up the ridge and dropped a little sooner than they did (and proceeded to have an awesome run). The whole thing probably added 15 mins to the run and that's a lot for me. I can get the camera setup in less than 2 minutes so if I'm skiing with the group It adds hardly any time to the runs. Until someone starts paying me to shoot, skiing will always come first.

Thanks to chmnyboy for the alpenglow shot of me.

I appreciate all of the positive comments but if any of you see anything I could improve on I'm all ears.

Andyski: The funny thing is I was giving chmnyboy and skier8484 a hard time all day for making way too many turns.

author=cityhick link=topic=19004.msg80552#msg80552 date=1294900938]

We am fortunate to witness this occur on almost a daily basis, not only in the mountains, but also at sea level.  ;)

This enthusiasm for the good things is a big part of what helps keep us motivated.

Allen,
Great job of capturing the stoke of the day, thanks for sharing the technical details of your gear and how you set up your shots...........

Gary

Uber, stellar and mega - thanks.

That was incredible.  Lugging your tripod, etc up there was worth it.

author=allenat@ylor link=topic=19004.msg80623#msg80623 date=1294962065]
I appreciate all of the positive comments but if any of you see anything I could improve on I'm all ears.

I don't know, tell your friends to slash harder and jump off stuff?  8) ;)

I like seeing good lines top to bottom, so I really enjoyed that.  Good job.

The photographer is usually the one who gets the most exercise. Setting up, going ahead or staying behind and then catching up, then moving ahead. Great job!
The carbon tripod is a great idea, but as you pointed out, all those light things catch/total up.
I thought the skier pace was perfect. I was able to visually feel them load the skis up and release them in the turns. Any young gun can point a ski, but to be able to ski mid range GS turns fast and smooth, with hands forward is an art worth capturing.
IMO the skier/talent needs to shoot the camera at least once to see what they need to do from the skiing aspect. The skier is the one who shows the versatility by working the line. It shows their personality as they ski. I get bored with all the launch shots and landings, but I do like interesting terrain that can be carved up tighter than a turkey at a food bank.
It looks like you have a great eye for framing and setting, that you can't always teach.
Keep up the great work!
Oh yeah, if you find great snow and terrain like that again, give me a jingle and I can be your ski model! You can call it old guys that rip.  8)

Thoroughly enjoyed the video! Looks like you guys were having a great time!

author=prestonf link=topic=19004.msg80651#msg80651 date=1294987104]
I don't know, tell your friends to slash harder and jump off stuff?  8) ;)

Oh believe me, Allen was taking every opportunity he had to tell us to rip harder! Problem was, of the 3 runs we had, I botched one by going out of view, then carried the camera on another, so I definitely wasn't gonna push too hard on the top to bottom shot. Sure gave me appreciation for the filmmakers out there.

author=Joedabaker link=topic=19004.msg80685#msg80685 date=1295029033]
I thought the skier pace was perfect. I was able to visually feel them load the skis up and release them in the turns. Any young gun can point a ski, but to be able to ski mid range GS turns fast and smooth, with hands forward is an art worth capturing.

On that note, I think the real treat of this video is Allen's slow-mo portion. It's short, but you can really see him work those skis with that east coast stylee he's got goin' on.

The other plum is Brian's portion at 3:30. You can't tell from the video, but as he hits the upper treed portion there's a significant rollover where you can only see about 3 turns ahead. Some serious improvisation and commitment to the line going on. Plus his ski poles match his jacket/pant combo perfectly, and that's really what this whole thing is about.

Glad you liked the slow-mo I'm working on making is much smoother than it is.

Thanks for watching everyone, my jaw dropped today when I saw how many views it had gotten in just the first 3 days.

Good one...Thanks for sharing! :)

author=allenat@ylor link=topic=19004.msg80623#msg80623 date=1294962065]

Pretty woman with a harness?
Zack Griffith has the lovely Molly Baker in his videos and she rips.
Don't you boys have girlfriends???

Reply to this TR

january-9-2011-video-perfection-on-goat-mtn
allenat@ylor
2011-01-12 14:19:08