Home > Trip Reports > January 9, 2011, Baker, Table and beyond

January 9, 2011, Baker, Table and beyond

1/9/11
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Kenji on 1/10/11 2:01pm
I guess we missed the powder fest South, instead had a non-typical NW condition of blue sky, no wind, foot powder at Baker.  Not many skiers beyond the Bagley Lake basin, lot of ski tracks down from Artist Point, Table, Herman.  Some old avy activities on some steep slopes, the rest was filled with ski tracks.

We were sure fresh trails would be broken anywhere we chose to go.  But we were the first to reach Herman saddle on this day.  After a quick chat with two Bham teles who followed us and were heading to Barometer, we took a quick run down to Iceberg Lk on nice dry powder.  Then more trail breaking around Table.

There was only one large group much beyond the Table-Ptarmigan saddle harvesting powder on the second rib.  The snow was well consolidated, no avy activity except one big slab failure on the steep slope immediate after the saddle (west).

Nice tour, we wished more time to actually ski. 
Impressive slab failure.  Looks like caused by a drop from the top.

the 2nd photo gives it better scale than the 1st. That looks scary

author=Kenji link=topic=18984.msg80263#msg80263 date=1294725666]
Nice tour, we wished more time to actually ski. 

That kind of sums up my own sentiments for that general tour. One of these days I have to go make camp out around Ptarmigan Ridge to have more time to explore and cycle out thattaway - I think the most we've ever mustered was maybe 2-3 1K+ laps partway out to the Pinnacle. On a looong day with LOTS of trailbreaking.

That slide reminds me of our debates about best routes out to the ridge from the Table/Ptarmigan saddle. At least the descent down to the mellower ground below the saddle has always yielded fun turns for us, but a more direct traverse is tempting. And having done the traverse in more consolidated conditions, I can confirm that it is indeed much quicker...

Thanks for sharing the avy and location.  Great photos

author=Jim Oker link=topic=18984.msg80326#msg80326 date=1294772799]
That slide reminds me of our debates about best routes out to the ridge from the Table/Ptarmigan saddle. At least the descent down to the mellower ground below the saddle has always yielded fun turns for us, but a more direct traverse is tempting. And having done the traverse in more consolidated conditions, I can confirm that it is indeed much quicker...

We went up/down below the saddle, and watched the other group carefully crossed the high path.  Everybody made it fine, and indeed they were quicker.

We deliberated the cause of that slope failure out there Sunday, and an interesting theory put forth was that perhaps that's a large glide crack/shrund moat that had its bridge fail in the warmup heavy precip loading, triggering that slope.  Perhaps the spring will show us a clue.

author=peteyboy link=topic=18984.msg80420#msg80420 date=1294814080]
We deliberated the cause of that slope failure out there Sunday, and an interesting theory put forth was that perhaps that's a large glide crack/shrund moat that had its bridge fail in the warmup heavy precip loading, triggering that slope.  Perhaps the spring will show us a clue.

right on, there was a pretty large crack right there around jan.3rd...I have a before picture but i'm not familiar with sizing pictures.  cool to see though!!

Think the 2 folks to the right in ... 0258.jpg had the right idea.  Spacing is good.

Reply to this TR

january-9-2011-baker-table-and-beyond
Kenji
2011-01-10 22:01:06