Home > Trip Reports > January 9, 2011, Rocky Run

January 9, 2011, Rocky Run

1/9/11
Posted by Marcus on 1/9/11 11:49pm
A good sized group and two dogs joined Mica for her birthday tour on Sunday.  Since it was an exploratory tour and we had a big group, we didn't cover a ton of ground, but we had the area to ourselves with only the sounds of snomos on the other side of the valley on Mt. Margaret.

As reported elsewhere, we found 6-8" of blower powder in the trees and up to 18" out in the open above 4000'.  It all moved very easily on last week's rain crust, sluffing and entraining on slopes steeper than 30 degrees.  If it stays cold and continues to load, as predicted, that weak bond will be fun to watch next week.

The old clearcuts in this area are getting pretty thick and could really use another 3-4 feet, but the snow was unbelievable.  I'm still picking ice crystals out of my beard. 

I'll post a short POV vid as soon as it's done loading to Vimeo.  The light was really flat all day, so pics and video are pretty poor.

Happy Birthday Mica!

Very short, poor form coming in above Kristin :)
http://vimeo.com/18625897

Did you head up the summer roads or just up the forest west of Rocky? 

It seemed like a good day for Margaret, but opted for a creek walk to Catherine instead.  We weren't getting more than the top 6" to sluff, and had ~12" above the rain crust.  Did you have dry sluffs down to the rain crust?

We went up via the logging road network on the south end of Rampart, then through the steep trees to the top.

The top 6" was probably the quickest to move, especially on the lower angle stuff -- we got some sluffs down to the crust on steep slopes (35+).

Reply to this TR

january-9-2011-rocky-run
Marcus
2011-01-10 07:49:30