Home > Trip Reports > Jan 9, 2011, Paradise environs-Mt. Rainier powder

Jan 9, 2011, Paradise environs-Mt. Rainier powder

1/9/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by cchapin on 1/9/11 2:20pm
since acarey isn't posting it, i will.  (pretty sure i saw you skiing out from mazama on the flats down to the road)

supportable crust with 2-9" very light, fluffly powder on top, depending on wind effect.  not slabby but sluffy on west facing steeps with challenging skinning due to crust.

noticable wind transport on ridge from west to east slopes.  poor visibility most of the day.  great shots again from Rad on a challenging flat light day.

#1: me
#2: JoshT
#3: teledavid

#4: a photo with good light per Rad's request

Yeah, that was me, in my new Dynafit TLT5 Mountain TF-X boots :-) and Regine and up above iluca &*scott and closer to P'dise mreid & snowplay ranger Drew (came busting thru the bushes on big fat skis and what looked like F-1s and hurriedly skied up the road without skins [must have mixed grip wax with his glide wax]) to get back to work with the kids.  We headed up high till the ceiling dropped, the wind picked up, and the snowfall turned into a blizzard--greater powder, but good wind chill with temps 18F or below.

author=acarey link=topic=18957.msg80138#msg80138 date=1294673428]
[must have mixed grip wax with his glide wax])

Same thing for us on Sat at Paradise and Sun in Tatoosh. It's been a great year so far for blue extra. So nice after the last run to the road not having to mess with skins. Not sure why more bc skiers don't use the stuff.

BTW, I hope the Seahawks keep winning. I think there were only 7 skiers in the Paradise area on Sat. :)

author=md2020 link=topic=18957.msg80158#msg80158 date=1294681882]

BTW, I hope the Seahawks keep winning. I think there were only 7 skiers in the Paradise area on Sat. :)

second this.

go seachickens!

(this post has nothing to do with football)

David, you are looking like having too much fun in those pics.  I though this was a Mountaineer's trip, and not supposed to be fun ;)

Hmmm - seems to be too high of a Tele to AT ratio in this post.  ;D  Aren't we always supposed to be in the minority?  Also, looks like pretty nice snow.  Good pictures!

author=Kenji link=topic=18957.msg80370#msg80370 date=1294785401]
David, you are looking like having too much fun in those pics.  I though this was a Mountaineer's trip, and not supposed to be fun ;)

A thoughtful comment from another renowned and well-respected mountaineers trip leader [genuine sentiment, no sarcasm, always enjoyed your tirp reports!].

Reply to this TR

jan-9-2011-paradise-environs-mt-rainier-powder
cchapin
2011-01-09 22:20:02