Home > Trip Reports > January 9, 2011, Rock Mountain

January 9, 2011, Rock Mountain

1/9/11
Posted by altasnob on 1/9/11 1:55pm
still felt the rain crust on the steeper slopes but the lower angled stuff skied very nice. Super light powder as others have reported

pic#2 is sick!!  good job

Way to go get it!  Nason Ridge is sweet.  Did you top out on Rock?

Didn't top out. Got to a notch above Crescent Lake. The visibility wasn't that great and we got a late start. Plus, it was pretty damn deep in spots so trailbreaking was a bitch. We used a snowmo to go up Smith Brook and over Rainy Pass, then approached from the north. If I did it again, I would use the summer trail, up Snowy Creek.

Topo Map

I was going to ask how The Swath is looking. but it sounds like vis was limited across the highway.

author=Joedabaker link=topic=18956.msg80269#msg80269 date=1294727846]
I was going to ask how The Swath is looking. but it sounds like vis was limited across the highway.

Hey Joe, we skied the swath on New Years Eve. There was a couple of feet of snow at the parking area but that didn't translate a lot more snow up high, it needed a couple of more feet to get the lower switch-backs along the road filled in better. It was one of those cold days -3F at the car where I looked over at Rock in the sun all day and questioned why we were always in the shade. 

Rock

Swath main chute

author=altasnob link=topic=18956.msg80267#msg80267 date=1294727072">
Didn't top out. Got to a notch above Crescent Lake. The visibility wasn't that great and we got a late start. Plus, it was pretty damn deep in spots so trailbreaking was a bitch. We used a snowmo to go up Smith Brook and over Rainy Pass, then approached from the north. If I did it again, I would use the summer trail, up Snowy Creek.

Topo Map

wow, that's quite the route.  Why the north side?  I believe most approach Rock from the Rock summer trail at hwy2. 
Looks like the north side road is at ~3600' vs 2800-3k' on the us2 side.  long day either way...

Thanks for the info MoFro and the pictures.

Thanks for the pics, you all.

Reply to this TR

january-9-2011-rock-mountain
altasnob
2011-01-09 21:55:11