Home > Trip Reports > Jan 9, 2011, Snoqualmie Pass

Jan 9, 2011, Snoqualmie Pass

1/9/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Splitter on 1/9/11 10:35am
Didn't expect the crust to be so thouroughly buried but the skiing was deep and fun today.  Still a little crusty in the trees.  Good stability, about 4 inches new while we were out.  Visibility was good below about 5K, even saw the sun halfway out for about 10 seconds, whiteout higher up.
Yup.  What a difference 6" of new fluff can make!  In the trees where we were, the top 4-5" sluffed but was so light we could ski through the waves, made us feel like the hot shots must in their movies?   Once we got out into the open we found 12-16" nice powder that held well to the base, no sluffing, just easy heroic powder turns.   The young Jims broke trail so I could get as much vertical as possible at my age, thank you gentlemen!
http://vimeo.com/18611518

Snowing all day long until the sun showed up and clearing began around 3PM.   The drive up and back required full attention.

Who could believe it could be so good so soon after the rain event of last week?  A few photos. Thanks Silas and Jim-

I wish I coulda added one more Jim to that party! Too bad I was stuck in town today instead of yesterday...

Reply to this TR

jan-9-2011-snoqualmie-pass
Splitter
2011-01-09 18:35:06