Home > Trip Reports > October 24, 2004, Chinook Pass

October 24, 2004, Chinook Pass

10/24/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 10/24/04 8:24am
Le Ronde Naches
Dorothea (skinut)and I drove up to Chinook pass carrying tele and metal edged waxless. The pass currently has 7" of snow bottom 4 crusty and 3" of fresh on top. Not enough to ski the glades but sufficient for a tour on the Naches roundabout trail. And a nice tour it was with a pleasant surprise near the east bowl of a sweetly covered grassed slope. 3 or 4 runs down this short slope made our day.Kinda good practice to see how many turns one can sqeeze off in a short space. Somebody forgot to tell Dorothea you can't ski parrallal on xcds and 3 pins. some people never get it right! Other than that we skied strictly on the trail through the National park sections. weather was mostly cloudy with some sun breaks. Got home early as reqested by MRs Robie
Brenda and I must have been right behind you. We followed a set of tracks nearly  the entire loop. Some of the snow was pretty nice, just wish there would have been more of it. Rock skis had a good workout and got a bit of work on our brush beating skills. I managed to do a slide into home plate while losing it in the ski track down the west side ridge of Tipsoo Lake bowl. Hit a damn rock on my left hip...close call. Just a bad bruise. Be carefull in this early season stuff.

almost forgot. From the PCT we saw a coyote roaming below on the lower east side spring route. He didn't even notice that we were up there.

There's nothing like pushing the limits of the snowpack! Did either of you notice if the White River road gate at Hwy 410 is still open? Just thinking about possibilities for an early Nov. ski.

Sounds like you made a good call for getting your turns in, Robman.  I think Jerry and I passed you while you and the gang were having your palaver at the viewpoint on 410.  We were headed up to the Crystal area for a recon hike.
Charles, I believe the gate at the WR rd was closed 2 weekends ago when we passed that way.

The road is open to the WR campground as of last Sunday. Let me know if/when you are headed up there maybe I can join you. Since I live so close I have been keeping track of the snow totals. I also have a plan. I was thinking of doing that Grand Park last Sunday as you did-is the Huckleberry Creek road still open?
JDB

Joe, the FS73 gates at the snowpark and at the Huckleberry Creek bridge were open on Sunday. As for the WR road, if you've got a plan, that's more that I have so let's keep in touch on this. I won't be skiing again in October, but as soon as November is here I'm ready. Wed, Fri, and Sun are the potential days for me.

This may be moving oer into "Partners Wanted," but ... My weekends are booked til 11/20, but I do have Wednesdays open and would really like to get out to some of these places I've never been.  Keep me in mind?
bill

Charles and Bill-My plan will take some more snow maybe 10 to 15 inches to be on the safe side. I have no problem waiting.The November date(s) will work. Since I am so busy at work, Sundays might be best , but Friday could work. The WR road does not need to be open to get to what I am planning and yes it will not be a trudge into.  ;)

Bill- I'm keeping you in mind , but Weds may not work for me-I can't speak for Charles though.  
Sorry to be a thread buster-Robie

Bill, I will keep you in mind for Wednesdays. Just so I know what type of trips you like: do you have fishscale skis?
Joe, I'm interested and already trying to think of what you may have in mind. What kind of skis would you take for this trip?
Robie, yeah, sorry, I guess it was my fault, asking about the gate. But at least this thread stayed on topic for 3 or 4 posts!

It's good to know what people are thinking early season this weekend looks like snows a comin.I better get on the phone and reserve Dorothea. One day GOTV  one day skiing seems like a good weekend

Thanks all--I have a pair of Karhu metal edge touring skiis with fishscales and Atomic t-29's and skins.  I'm a littlenew to BC skiing, but get up and down most anything.  I'm a little hesitant to head out alone in winter to places I haven't been, so going with would be great. We can shift to PM to get this one back on track.
bill

Charles-I have the standard AT setup with heavy boots. I wish I had a little lighter gear for this, but what the heck. The pitch is about 1200vf of grass at about 30 plus degrees. I think I could ski the grass in the fall without the snow, but snow could help for sliding and a skin to the top. That way people don't get the idea that I'm skiing on grass.

Reply to this TR

october-24-2004-chinook-pass
Robie
2004-10-24 15:24:07