Home > Forum > MSPs new YEARBOOK Movie

MSPs new YEARBOOK Movie

• skidawg
  • [skidawg]
More
23 Oct 2004 07:32 #169969 by skidawg
MSPs new YEARBOOK Movie was created by skidawg
All,<br>I just viewed the new Match Stick Production ski movie "Yearbook" featuring Shane McConkey (of course), Seth Morrison, Ingrid .... (some girlie from Seattle) and many others. Wow, great flick and definitely a motivator. I suggest seeing it. Since I'm one step ahead of all you that haven't I'll be at the Parasail store before going to my terminal line / cliff jumping class !!! Please dear wholly world spirit let it dump profusely on us all - and soon ! ;D<br><br>Skidawg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Skier66
  • [VPowermaxSki]
More
23 Oct 2004 12:36 #169970 by Skier66
Replied by Skier66 on topic Re: MSPs new YEARBOOK Movie
I've seen Shane, Seth, Kreitler and many others ski in many films. But I think it's time some locals from the Seattle area get some recognition. I've browsed through some of peoples sites, including skykilo's and I'd have to say I'm impressed with some of the pics I've seen. I'd like to see Seth climb for 15+ hours and be able to ski a 2000-3000 foot 50 degree slope with high exposer. Handsdown, Seth and those guys rule but maybe someone oughta check out sky and the Hummels and some of the other hardcore people who post on this site.<br><br><br>Some hardcore pics along with this years new MSP movie and there are no excuses for not getting pumped for the upcoming season. Let the Freshiez fall!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sam Avaiusini
  • [savaiusini]
More
07 Nov 2004 10:36 #170038 by Sam Avaiusini
Replied by Sam Avaiusini on topic Re: MSPs new YEARBOOK Movie
Those guys (and gals) in the MSP/TGR/Miller flicks are generally not to be dissed on. Despite the fact that they are getting heli rides up and getting paid for what they do, they are still very much elite athletes. They just push the sport in different ways... 8)<br>

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
07 Nov 2004 13:33 #170039 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: MSPs new YEARBOOK Movie
I watched part of that film yesterday while fitting some boots at Olympic Sports. Definitely some impressive aerials. The most amazing shots are of a guy (I didn't catch his name) who has combined high-end "free skiing" with BASE jumping. His thing is to ski steep terrain and then launch off cliffs hundreds of feet high (unsurvivable landings), throw a flip or two in the air, then deploy his BASE chute. Definitely the most extreme stunt I've ever seen. One of his jumps was off the northwest shoulder of the Eiger at a point where a vertical prow extends out over the north face.<br><br>I've seen pictures of BASE jumping before, and normally the jumpers take off with their pilot chute (or whatever you call it) in their hand so they just let it go to deploy the main. This guy skis down (using poles) on terrain that you could definitely screw up on (not a trivial slope like Rick Sylvester's El Cap jump), then he drops his poles at high speed, launches into his flip before he's cleared the edge, reaches behind his head to grab the pilot chute after completing the flip, releases the pilot, then looks up and grabs his risers to control the main canopy as soon as it's out.<br><br>The number of things that could go wrong with this stunt are huge. They show him doing it on a bunch of different peaks. I wonder what "mainstream" BASE jumpers think of this stuff.

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
07 Nov 2004 14:16 #170040 by powscraper
Replied by powscraper on topic Re: MSPs new YEARBOOK Movie
(blaring high-energy punk rock)<br>"...and this year, we managed to track down the elusive Skykilo. Cascades bla bla ski mountaineering hardcore bla bla bla...<br><br>Hey, there he is! Hey! Hey man! Yeeeeeaaah, boyeee! What's up br----hey, what's he doin' with his pants... ahhh... OHHH my god well now that's just disgusting! Cut!"

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
07 Nov 2004 14:44 - 07 Nov 2004 14:56 #170041 by Paul Belitz
Replied by Paul Belitz on topic Re: MSPs new YEARBOOK Movie
Skykilo's mad steeze would put McConkey to shame. Here, he is shown modelling the new Black Diamond Backcountry Bod Thong...the latest in functional and fashionable backcounty wear. Also note the expensive and ultra-stylish Lowe Alpine Triple Point Ceramic (TM) $80 pants. Black, with yellow patches. Killer.<br><br>From the Lowe Alpine catalogue: <br>

Our cheap rain pants are wonderful for everything from walking your poodle in the rain to skiing the Coleman-Deming route in the extremly harsh environment of Mount Baker, in the rugged northern regions of wild Washington State. Our pants are guaranteed water-resistant/non-breathable; we guarantee that you will get wet and stay wet in these pants. Whether you tour your local rainy neighborhood or thrash your gear sipping hot cocoa by the fireplace, these pants are sure to keep you uncomfortable.

<br><br> <br><br><br><br> <br>And really....Jason has no marketable steeze whatsoever. No spiffy softshell, no patagucci/Arc'teryx snazzy hardshell. No Garmonts (Scarpas are old school, didn't you know?), no Hammerheads (the targas aren't even blue! oh the humanity), no NOTHING!! Not even a Swix beanie (which makes sense, he wouldn't know wax if it smacked him upside the head. Hence the snow clumps). Face it, these guys are simply not marketable. Period.

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
07 Nov 2004 14:47 #170042 by powscraper
I thought that was an advertisement for Whippets?

• Paul Belitz
  • [pbelitz]
More
07 Nov 2004 14:57 #170043 by Paul Belitz
Replied by Paul Belitz on topic Re: MSPs new YEARBOOK Movie
I apologize for clogging up this thread with two photos. Hopefully Charles will forgive me.

• powscraper
  • [username]
More
07 Nov 2004 15:05 #170044 by powscraper
Actually, I'll take two of whatever he's got...<br><br>cascadecrusades.org/SkiMountaineering/Mo...onSlotShotSkypic.jpg

• Sam Avaiusini
  • [savaiusini]
More
08 Nov 2004 04:12 - 08 Nov 2004 04:12 #170052 by Sam Avaiusini
Replied by Sam Avaiusini on topic Re: MSPs new YEARBOOK Movie
BD Bod Thong, Petzl G-String, MistyMountain Thong Works...whatever you want to call it, it's classic!

• David_Coleman
  • [David_Coleman]
More
08 Nov 2004 04:35 #170053 by David_Coleman
Replied by David_Coleman on topic Re: MSPs new YEARBOOK Movie
As for as some locals...Mike Hattrup has starred in many Greg Stump movies, not to mention a couple of Warren Miller flicks, including last year's Journey with another local Tim Petric. 8)<br><br>I might add, Mike certainly earns his share of turns skinning in the BC.

More
08 Nov 2004 05:57 #170054 by mfaoro
Replied by mfaoro on topic Re: MSPs new YEARBOOK Movie
Mike is a great ski mountaineering guide as well!

More
10 Nov 2004 06:46 #170058 by skip
Replied by skip on topic Re: MSPs new YEARBOOK Movie
Lowell,<br><br>Regarding ski BASE jumping, a good friend of mine I grew up skiing with is a professional skydiver, amateur BASE jumper (seeing its illegal most places), and phenominal skier. It was only a matter of time before he starting mixing them - rather than sky skiing, he chose ski BASE.<br><br>I'm not sure what YEARBOOK has in it, but he has some footage from both the ground and a headcam that is utter insanity. It starts with him hucking off a rise with considerable speed, needing to clear 70 feet to reach a 400-foot drop. After clearing the 70-foot span and plumetting over the 400-foot drop, he started to rotate backward in an unfortunate way as he was reaching for his chute to deploy. As he said once he landed, "I almost just died."<br><br>So to answer your question, from what I've pulled out of him, this is a little more extreme if you will and a quite a bit more dangerous than your typical jump - for the reasons you mentioned, stemming from the substantially greater horizontal movement. <br><br>p.s. He's not distributing the video on that one, but plans to do some other jumps in Utah this winter. I'll pass along the video if he makes it available.