Home > Trip Reports > Jan 4, Barometer - Sweet Sweet Death

Jan 4, Barometer - Sweet Sweet Death

1/15/11
Posted by old guy on 1/6/11 4:37am
This has to be one of the greatest ski lines I have ever skied or even seen.  It reminds me of some of the runs at Jackson Hole.
Barometer Peak it lies just two miles due west of Herman.  Follow John Baldwin€™s description from his book, Exploring the Coast Mountains On Skis.  Once on the north summit drop immediately east down the steep bowl.  It looks like it will cliff out but there is a traverse skier€™s left that leads into another bowl.  Drop down that bowl into a third bowl which then leads into the couloirs proper.  Once you drop into the third bowl you will be committed to finishing the descent in the couloir.  My advice before dropping in from the summit is to be sure the snow conditions are extremely stable because once you do start going down it would be extremely tough to get out and if there is a slide there is nowhere to hide.  The crux is a boulder at the bottle neck in the couloir.  The slides can make this area icy but for us it wasn€™t as bad as it looks. 
From the valley floor we headed back up to Mazama bowl and back over Mazama saddle to get to the upper parking lot at Mount Baker.  I would recommend not doing this return but instead head down Anderson Creek to a car left at the cross country ski parking lot where 542 crosses the Nooksack. 
I'll attach photos soon.
I'm trying to load some pictures but the website won't let me. 

Nice. Looks like Barometer might be the "new" destination. Didn't think there was enough snow down low yet for quality lines. It's nice to know it's filling in. FYI- Baldwin's book doesn't mention the descent to Wells Cr. off the West side and out over Nooksack Falls. That's a fun one with deep low snowpack and sun effect considerations as well... 3000' if I recall.

If I can get these photos loaded you can see the rock walls.

Thanks Darin. I almost forgot that a Dilbert cartoon named it!!

Nice job Chuck getting over there before the weather turned

Reply to this TR

jan-4-barometer-sweet-sweet-death
old guy
2011-01-06 12:37:54