Home > Trip Reports > Jan 2, 2011, Welldiggers Ass via Yodelin

Jan 2, 2011, Welldiggers Ass via Yodelin

1/2/11
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by fwb on 1/5/11 5:45am
After a taxing trip NYE we took an easy day skinning up Yodelin to tag Welldiggers. A little skiing in nice untouched powder down the south side.
And some yoyoing the north side.  Amazingly nobody out and plenty of
virgin snow.
Surface is becoming hoar on top of 6+" light fluff (more in most areas)
on a thin crust.  then 10-12" 4p soft on an ice layer and consolidated (1p) below.

Nice mellow skiing and quiet.

Sorry about the large images will try to fix with small ones later.
Click on one of the images below for a movie

Click on one of the images above for a movie

Nice video tour.  We were up there the next day - still a great ski surface.  That Hoar might be trouble in the coming weeks, but it sure is fun to ski on when it's on top!  Still quite a bit of room for more snow up there - a lot of tree snakes down low on the road.  The snowdog got stuck for a few minutes when she fell through some fluff piled up around some Vine Maples covering a stream. 

Franklin,

Nice photos and movie.  Megan will be inspired and I will show it to her so that she will want to go out and tour someday!  I am sure she will give you special attention if she sees you on the hill this weekend.

Alan Brunelle

Awesome movie. What did you use (camera & editing software)? Looks like some sort of wide angle helmet cam?

Used a tiny pocket dig camera for the stills and video -holding in my hand.  At one point I dropped the camera while skiing and caught it in mid air.  I just ski and try aiming at the subject -old school.  No holders, no helmet cam... This weekend tried holding camer in vare hand... all I got was frozen fingers, but didn't drop teh camera (till later, and found it three hours later : ).  Then used Windows movie Maker Live for the video.  I have Adobe Premier, but wanted to try Movie Maker.  Free and it worked good enough.  Sometimes I get tired of the more complex programs...

Great pictures, Franklin! Looks like it's almost time to update your photo editing to 2011, lol! What was your website again?

Julie

Reply to this TR

jan-2-2011-welldiggers-ass-via-yodelin
fwb
2011-01-05 13:45:48