Home > Trip Reports > October 21, 2004, Mt. Baker

October 21, 2004, Mt. Baker

10/21/04
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by TeleRoss on 10/21/04 11:22pm
Went up to Mt. Baker with Sky yesterday. Weather was pretty lousy at the TH, but by the time we were up on the Coleman Glacier things had cleared out considerably. As we skinned up the Coleman, it continued to clear, and eventually everything above ~6,000' was crystal clear blue skies.
There was considerable new snow on the Glacier, although already well consolidated. Some ice was showing where the wind had scoured away the new stuff.
We reached the summit, amid raging winds and very cold temps. The cloud layer had lifted somewhat, and the only peaks visible were Glacier, and Rainier.
We skied the Park Headwall down to the bergschrund. The top few hundred v.f. were pretty hard, but lower where the wind was less severe we found some awesome light powder. Sweet turns.
From the bergschrund we climbed back up the headwall to the summit. I think the winds were raging even harder this time and we quickly skied across the summit plateau, and skied back town the Roman Wall and the Coleman Gl.
-Ross
Hey Ross, that's impressive--skiing the headwall this time of year (not to mention the C-D in questionable visibility).  How were the crevasses below Heliotrope Ridge?  How much new snow at the Hogsback camp?  

thanks,

Mark

Glad the headwall turned out well for you guys...

I dunno where hogsback camp is, but there were only drifts of snow at 6000ft where the moraine ends and the glacier starts.  By 7000ft the snow was deep and great on the C-D, but not in the area people normally ski below Heliotrope - that was wind-scoured and crusty, with lots of small crevasses (and a few big ones) where I've never seen them before.  It was a grim sight.

Thanks, Phil.  The glacier below Heliotrope has really fallen apart the last couple of years.  Sounds like it's not yet filled in enough for the blundering likes of me.

"Hogsback Camp" is the USFS name for the summertime tent city at 6000 feet.  

When we skied back down the C/D the visibility was good all the way down to below the glacier so that was not an issue.
There was a few inches of snow on the moraines around the camp.  Once on the glacier though the accumulated new snow really increased.
Ross

Phil....I'm not sure where you guys went to see anything like a "grim sight"?
Where we were on the glacier, sure there were crevasses, but easily negotiated, and we were able to make a very direct descent down the glacier in primo conditions.

Well, where Paul and I skied far right and passed you guys on the way up, is usually a nice smooth slope around this of year (photo from Nov 12 2000):

But now it's got lots of cracks and bare ice, that's why I called it grim.  :)   Descending it in 20ft visibility didn't help, and there was only a few inches new on top of crust or ice.

On the Coleman proper, above 6800ft, I agree the sunshine and deep snow was pretty nice.

You guys shoulda stuck it out,  cause it cleared out beautifully for us + you guys misses some of the best turns which were found above the saddle.
I think that skiing on the E. of the rocks (where Sky and I climbed up) was maybe a better choice...more snow & less cracks. IMHO
Ross

Now, that's the definition of hardcore!!  Great trip report.

Reply to this TR

october-21-2004-mt-baker
TeleRoss
2004-10-22 06:22:52