Home > Trip Reports > Interglacier MRNP

Interglacier MRNP

1/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Kyle Miller on 1/4/11 12:38pm
What to do. Take a rest after six days of touring or take advantage of the last day of Epic weather. I chose the latter.

Knowing that south facing slopes had gotten baked from the afternoon sun Boot and myself decided we would head toward something north facing. decisions, decisions, decisions.

Arrived at a empty White River campground around 9 a.m. and got onto our skin track from the previous day before merging onto the new and improved Glacier Basin trail.

Skinning up the Glacier Basin trail was cold, quiet and quite scenic making our way past Goat Island Mountain, scarred from our tracks a few days earlier.

here is a video of that trip

We broke track nonstop making it all the way into Glacier Basin at 11:00 and minutes before the entire area was engulfed in shade.

The snow was in great condition as we skinned directly up Interglacier, confused wether the high point beyond us was the summit of Rainier or Steamboat Prow. It was Rainier.

We were greated by strong gusts making it to Steamboat Prow at 2:30. Just enough time to take in the views of EVERYTHING (other then St. Helens).

While skinning up we noticed that the gullies were sheltered from the wind and would hold the best snow. From the moment we noticed this we consciously kept our skin track far away.

Going down was nothing less then amazing. I can say with confidence it was the best run of my life.

We rode all the way down to 5200 feet before crossing the river. Then with the new Glacier basin trail we were able to ride 80% of the way but had to bootpack in our own skintrack sometimes  :'( We said our goodbyes to Rainier and Tahoma and promised that we would see them again real soon.

Both Boot and I had huge grins the whole way back. Fun stuff out there.
A good time was had for sure  ;D.

Very nice! I've always wanted to hit that during the winter. Good job.

author=Kyle Miller link=topic=18828.msg79717#msg79717 date=1294202314]

I can say with confidence it was the best run of my life.

Wow - I have been reading your posts around the net for some time and when you say "run of my life" that means something.  Thanks for taking the time to share your tracks with us.

Bad ass! Did you walk, bike, or snowmo to the White River campground? I'm guessing 410 is still bare pavement?

Nice work guys, sorry I couldn't join you.

author=Kyle Miller link=topic=18828.msg79717#msg79717 date=1294202314]

Going down was nothing less then amazing. I can say with confidence it was the best run of my life.

Damns, dude that is saying alot given the amount of runs that you've done! Sounds like it was amazing. Way to carpe tempestas or however its said in latin.

Nice work! :).

"Best ever" turns don't happen very often, so here's some photoshoppery that might help with the memories...

Thanks Trumpetsailor.  Should I shoot those flat light conditions in B&W?  It's great to be in the shaded north facing protected snow, but sucks for photography.

Nice work boys...
Kyle's Best ever run/snow in his life statements have lost all meaning, kinda like Roseanne's best ever meal.
Glad for him that he has lots of them though! ;)

author=Boot link=topic=18828.msg79782#msg79782 date=1294256941]
Should I shoot those flat light conditions in B&W? 

I'd doubt it - I suspect (but don't know) that the B&W conversion done in-camera is basically the same one done by most photo software. I shoot in color, but often convert to B&W at home when color correction is tricky/contrast is paramount. For the photo above, I cropped the image, desaturated it, fooled around with "Curves" for a while to bring out the tracks, then made it smaller (to suppress the grain), then used the "Unsharp" filter to help highlight the tracks a little more.

I bet other TAYers have lots of tips too, but we should probably start another thread, so that the focus remains on powder here!

Trumpetsailor--oh, is that all you did? ;)  Thanks for the info.

Alatasnob--snowmo trip.  Unlike last year, the road is well covered.  I would guess there's a good 3-4' of snow at the WR Campground, 6-8' at Glacier Basin, and at least 10-15' as you head up the Interglacier.

Joe--I can attest to Kyle's "best run ever" statement.  Knowing his history, I too paused when he said it, but it really was a most amazing ride.  Had deeper, lighter pow; longer volcano corn runs; but never a > 4000' continuous, high alpine, soft, smoooooth, slightly wind-packed powder run such as this.  The first 2-3 quick turns off Steamboat Prow summit were a little rough, hard-pack, but the rest was just an open highway.  It made a "groomer" look/feel like tracked out moguls.

^^^^
I have to admit a 4000ft continuous powder run sounds pretty awesome. That is going to be tough to top, but you better keep working at it!  ;)

bandwidth exceedz

I can't see your photos Kyle but I am sure they are great.

Lucky bastards!  Another trip that has me jealous.  The interglacier in winter is on the list.

Epic.  I've always eyed those avi chutes on Goat Island... Anyone hit that in Winter?

author=savegondor link=topic=18828.msg79990#msg79990 date=1294510788]
I've always eyed those avi chutes on Goat Island... Anyone hit that in Winter?

???
There is a video in the text above referencing us riding those avi chutes.

I have ridden the Interglacier more times then I can count and always imagined what it would be like in winter conditions. After years of failed plans and putting that tour on the backburner I finally was able to do it. While the snow wasn't the deepest nor the lightest, it was 4000 feet of soft, smooth, and stable powder without a cloud to be seen.

It was everything that I hoped for and more.

Reply to this TR

interglacier-mrnp
Kyle Miller
2011-01-04 20:38:34