Home > Trip Reports > 2-Jan-2011, Snoqualmie // Red Mtn and Lundin Peak

2-Jan-2011, Snoqualmie // Red Mtn and Lundin Peak

1/2/11
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by gbogh93 on 1/3/11 3:19pm
Greetings, all-

I feel like someone from a movie... "Long time listener, first time caller."  ;-) 

Travis, Reid, and I headed out Commonwealth Basin to see what we could find that wasn't too sun-baked or wind-loaded. Compared to Friday, we didn't find much wind loading but plenty of sun junk. S face of Red was already well-baked with numerous loose snow / point releases from above, some sun crust, and plenty of plain old sun-boiled mank. W face of Red was still creamy so we punched to the top and basked in the sun loving the views... 12-18" over the rain crust made for sweet turns and big smiles on the way down. 

It was such a beautiful day we decided to stay out and headed up the S ridge of Lundin. As expected, the sun had baked it but the snow was still nice where you could avoid sun crust, i.e. in the trees or on SE/SW aspects. Watching our tracks on Red turn pink in the alpenglow was a special treat. 

Temps dropped fast after sundown, making for an enjoyable and fast rip out the luge run lit by headlamp. All in all, a great start to 2011!

Pax
dave

Glad to see that you posted your first TR.  The TR and photos are great.

Really wanted to thank you for sending the TR.  Saw you from Alpental working up the hill all day and wondered how things worked out.  Saw the down tracks and wished it were me.  Nice work!  Great to have the intel from the tours.  Makes it safer for all of us in the end. Thanks again.

Reply to this TR

2-jan-2011-snoqualmie-red-mtn-and-lundin-peak
gbogh93
2011-01-03 23:19:40