Home > Trip Reports > Jan 3, 2011, Lichtenbluebird pursuit

Jan 3, 2011, Lichtenbluebird pursuit

1/3/11
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Susan Ashlock on 1/3/11 1:06pm
Lichtenbluebirds love high pressure systems, so we set out today to observe this creature in its native environs.

Frosty fingers were eventually warmed in sunshine along Smith Brook Road; two different routes across the brook were forged, and inevitably our skin track drew us into clutches of the Lichtenstep.  Others had apparently fallen prey to its siren song as well.  Said step had recently rebuffed others, but our tolerance for wallowing was high enough to see us through the challenge.

The Lichtenbluebird was indeed out in force today at Lichtenwasser Lake.  We were almost blinded by the light as we emerged from the trees. 

After bageling on its shores we crossed south across the ice on said lake and headed SSW to the ridge (where we were warmed again by the sight of the lichtenbluebird) and then along the north side of  point 5737 to the next section of the ridge, which gave us easy access to the summit of Lichtenberg.

We had outstanding views in every direction, but (surprisingly) no sign of avalanches on any visible face.

The north-facing bowl west of the summit tempted us into traversing further along the ridge, which was a little spicier and included the infamous Hinterlichten Traverse.

From there, it was happy north-facing powder all the way to the Smith Brook Road. (Except for the snowshoer tracks...)

Thanks, David, Alex, and Lichtenbluebird for a great day!

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/susanashlock/sets/72157625743185670/detail/
GPS track: http://www.flickr.com/photos/susanashlock/5322292439/in/set-72157625743185670/
More please !
Two good days back to back !
Lichtenburg is on my list if i ever break away from MT Rainer
Thanks for the Gps map.

I thought I learned a new word, but dictionary dot shows no results for bageling. I assume...

bageling(verb)

To eat a bagel.

Great day out up there. There was a little bit of fresh avi debris from sun heated rock on the west slopes, just beneath the big rock above Valhalla. other then that, pretty darn stable, but a little crusty on that side.

That is a very nice trip report.  You have a way with words and style.  Are you a writer?

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

Hopefully our uptrack from Saturday was of some use to you, as you appeared to mostly follow a similar if not identical route up (though I'll admit that the upper ~500 feet of track below the final ridge crest was put in by some folks who had apparently dropped in from the south side and then climbed back before skiing the south slopes). We skirted right around what I presume you call the Lichtenstep, then headed up to the ridge crest as soon as terrain allowed. The warm sun out on the lake was a wonderful if brief respite from the cold. And the turns - I'd compare it to what our Selkirk pals call "stale powder," which is very fun stuff!

Jim, we used your uptrack to the lake on Sunday (thanks!).  We explored a different route through the cliffs below the lake, but it didn't pan out....  skins wouldn't hold on rimed granite (boo)

We dropped from the saddle due to fatigue level.

Great mountain, sounds like at least 4 parties were out to enjoy it in the sunshine!

author=alecapone link=topic=18812.msg79645#msg79645 date=1294159156]
bageling(verb)

To eat a bagel.

Some day dictionary.com will catch on as well. :)

author=Jim Oker link=topic=18812.msg79678#msg79678 date=1294173531]
Hopefully our uptrack from Saturday was of some use to you, as you appeared to mostly follow a similar if not identical route up (though I'll admit that the upper ~500 feet of track below the final ridge crest was put in by some folks who had apparently dropped in from the south side and then climbed back before skiing the south slopes).

Although we set a bit of our own, we did indeed recycle a few nice skin tracks out there.  Thanks! 

author=filbo link=topic=18812.msg79674#msg79674 date=1294172603]
Are you a writer?

Of occasional trip reports, yes!  :)

Is that a full time gig?  benefits?

Cool trip report, about how long is the approach skin up the creek?  I assume you have to park at the hw during the winter?

Reply to this TR

jan-3-2011-lichtenbluebird-pursuit
Susan Ashlock
2011-01-03 21:06:53