Home > Trip Reports > 1/1/11 Tatoosh

1/1/11 Tatoosh

1/1/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by dkoelle on 1/1/11 1:04pm
Took off from Narada perhaps 930.  Managed to derail on the skin up to the road a little. But after that I was pleasantly surprised by how quick it is to Reflection Lakes.  There was a solid snowshoe/skin track from the day before, so quick work to the ridge.  Our first run down north to slightly northeast faces was actually a bit crusty and had us worried.  Second run, we explored the shaded bowl which was still untouched.  It had areas of deep windblown fluff and softish windslab.  Third run, confident nothing was moving we swooped down the main bowl. The snow down in the trees closer to the lake was actually in the best shape: light, undisturbed powder!  Nice terminal descent to the car too.  All in all a great day, just a couple of other groups.  Probably just slightly damaged by today's chilly warm-up in the shaded N facing areas, not the best ever but perfectly presentable!  http://www.flickr.com/photos/koelle/
Was that one of your group's shovel handle we found today ???

Wasn't ours, thanks.  I'd like to get an education some time about those eastern exits! 

The snow had turned into wind scoured crap by Sunday as can be seen by the pic below

author=altasnob link=topic=18776.msg79617#msg79617 date=1294120682]
The snow had turned into wind scoured crap by Sunday as can be seen by the pic below

:) :)

Great photo Jay.  That is so totally my line.

I am dying to get out!

Reply to this TR

1-1-11-tatoosh
dkoelle
2011-01-01 21:04:50