Home > Trip Reports > Dec 31, 2010, Paradise environs-Mt. Rainier powder

Dec 31, 2010, Paradise environs-Mt. Rainier powder

12/31/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Andrew Carey on 12/31/10 10:59am

Job well done.
Didn't think you'd ski Paradise during the holidays with the hordes.  Not many people headed up to Muir--I ended up sitting around a lot enjoying the sun instead of skiing.  Pretty good skiing on the way down, though, but slow with the deep snow and moderate angles.  Beats watching football.

author=mreid link=topic=18760.msg79404#msg79404 date=1293854211]
Didn't think you'd ski Paradise during the holidays with the hordes.  Not many people headed up to Muir--I ended up sitting around a lot enjoying the sun instead of skiing.  Pretty good skiing on the way down, though, but slow with the deep snow and moderate angles.  Beats watching football.

There were few people yesterday and skiers were widespread today but not too concentrated where we were (just a party of 3 we never saw up close, and a single, who we knew).  Day before yesterday I turned around at Cougar Rock and went home.  Won't ski tomorrow tho, there were enough skiers and snowshoers out there to pretty much trash the snow by day's end.  I think a lot of skier must have gone to the ski malls, where they don't have to earn their turns  ;)

author=acarey link=topic=18760.msg79408#msg79408 date=1293856533]
There were few people yesterday and skiers were widespread today but not too concentrated where we were (just a party of 3 we never saw up close, and a single, who we knew).  Day before yesterday I turned around at Cougar Rock and went home.  Won't ski tomorrow tho, there were enough skiers and snowshoers out there to pretty much trash the snow by day's end.  I think a lot of skier must have gone to the ski malls, where they don't have to earn their turns  ;)

I'll admit, I did.  ;D

I was up there as well and made it to Muir. That was a mistake! Two days of the bright sun at the right angle left for some pretty heavy stuff up top. I am pretty new to this so I was no good at skiing it. If you saw a guy doing multiple face plants...that was me.  :-[ Oddly, once I made it back down below Pan Point, the snow turned light and turnable again. It must have just been the angle of the terrain which allowed for more sun penetration up high.

Oh, well. Learning as I go.

Similar conditions on my tour out to Cowlitz Rocks and the Paradise Glacier yesterday... The first 400-500 feet above Cowlitz Rocks were skiable but heavy powder while above that was not very good with more wind effect. The slopes down into Mazama Bowl on my way back to Paradise were the best turns of the day by far in low density powder, even on the south facing aspects.

author=iluka link=topic=18760.msg79449#msg79449 date=1293928807]
Similar conditions on my tour out to Cowlitz Rocks and the Paradise Glacier yesterday... The first 400-500 feet above Cowlitz Rocks were skiable but heavy powder while above that was not very good with more wind effect. The slopes down into Mazama Bowl on my way back to Paradise were the best turns of the day by far in low density powder, even on the south facing aspects.

we saw your tracks going out to Cowlitz Rocks and your tracks down the glacier--they looked great!  however, we knew we would have better snow than you! :-)

Reply to this TR

dec-31-2010-paradise-environs-mt-rainier-powder
Andrew Carey
2010-12-31 18:59:09