Home > Trip Reports > December 30, 2010, Stevens, Union-Jove powder

December 30, 2010, Stevens, Union-Jove powder

12/30/10
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Kenji on 12/31/10 3:06am
Dick, David, Paul and I were the first car in the Smithbrook pullout at 10degF.  We were soon passed by a group of petro powered skies.  I was hoping they might break a trail, but no such luck.  From near the end of the switchback, we gained the ridge through trees. Not much evidence of wind action on the south facing slopes.

From Union summit, the narrow ridge had a plenty of soft powder up-down over many snow ribs.  The upper slopes of Jove had deep fresh powder settling on lower snowpack with various wind history.  Some on fairly shallow crust, some just deep down 2' w/o crust.  We did not see any evidence of recent avy activities.

We considered skiing down the north slope to Lake Janus on gentler slope.  Given the available daylight and the relatively stable snowpack, we decided to descend the steep south slope.  It was very tempting to plunge down the center, but we didn't feel quite comfortable on somewhat funky snow.  Maybe in a couple days more...

As seen in a pic, we skied the slightly gentler slope near the trees.  A bit shorter, but still long fall line requiring almost too many turns for our tired legs.  I have never had good skiing on the south slope, and finally powder runs!!  Actually only one run, but still a great run.  Wish we had a couple more hours of daylight...

We arrived at the car around 5pm after a bit dark, but didn't need headlamps.  Spectacular scenic tour, and wonderful powder run!  What more one can ask?  A couple more runs in the middle!

Now the trail is broken you might be able to harvest the powder this weekend. (Approaching from the south over Rainy Pass might be quicker for skiing)

that's looks great!

I agree. days are just a little too short right now.

Thanks for the photos Kenji, let's me re-live the moment!  That was the most turns i've been able to string together in a long time.  What a perfect day!

We were nervous about the steep stuff because a hasty pit half-way up Jove on the southerly aspect revealed a CT-13 on the old rain crust.  Seems like it has been TG faceting on top of the rain crust that was about 70 cm down. 

Powder yeah!    David.

Jeez, those are great shots !

Nice looking runs Kenji - I skied the N slopes with you last year!  Tab

Hi Tab,

Yeah, the south slope was a little more intense.  Nice to have an option at the top though.  I should really wait a month for more day light next time.

Beautiful captures!

awesome pics

i wanna go there

Nice...love that sunset pic

Did you ever yearn?

Kenji
Thanks for the track, New Years Day my buddy Tim and I broke a new track along the ridge from Rainy Pass and then joined up with yours to summit Union and then Jove.  Reached the summit of Jove at 3:30 and made our way over to your decent lines, it was a very cold day and the snow was perfect all the way down, we were at Rainy Pass again around 4:30 with the light nearly gone, switched on the headlight at the double switchback for the cruise out.  Great day with Tim and his dog Danny, thanks again for putting in the track.

Reply to this TR

december-30-2010-stevens-union-jove-powder
Kenji
2010-12-31 11:06:05