Home > Trip Reports > 12-30-2010, Pyramid avi path

12-30-2010, Pyramid avi path

12/30/10
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by alecapone on 12/31/10 2:57am
Thanks to my friend fro the invite. Just not enough time in the day right now. Had bigger plans, but turned around after reaching the toe of the Colonial glacier. Too bad, as everything looked really good.
Up the summer trail on boots for what did seem long at all(500' of vert?). skins on all the way up the typical climber approach. PITA!!! The ridge was never ending cahllenging skinning with hardly any thing that looked rideable until the final hump.

Decided to at least salvage some turns, and went with what looked like a nice continuous line we could see while climbing. where rewarded with an awesome decent of over 2,000 feet of great powder from really lgiht, to sligthly wind affected. Then a 1,000 feet of mixed, variable surrvival riding with ice cliffs and gullies, frozen river crossing fly by(attemps) and hidden ice under a little fluff. Great time no doubt!

able to ride it out to the 2,800' mark, then made a traverse back over to pyramid lake and connected with the trail. Went and got a spot with a view, and enjoyed the sunset. It was freezing cold!

Hey Scot, where is this?

Err, too cold to take pictures. For me. Other guy probably got some really good skinning shots up higher.

I did manage few on the way in from Pyramid lake. Ended up being a lot clearer skies. The slope we rode is mostly visible in front of pyramid, falling left to right..

Forest approach circa 2000' +/- elevation.

author=telemack link=topic=18749.msg79354#msg79354 date=1293822943]
Hey Scoot, where is this?

highway 20 just past Diablo. It's in the Nat park.

Nice! I was up with Spencer nearby on monogram lake / little devil peak. Sounds like you guys had a better day than us in the NC... we had to turn around when my Rottafella Cobras cable failed right when the snow turned from that crusty crap to nice powder. F@#*!

Beautiful day though!

Nice choice in terrain. This days are way too short but conditions are awesome. I was talking about you earlier today, saying we needed Ale to help us break trail in the White River Campground area.

ha..

I tried calling you to come with, but your voice mail box is full!

I'm game for trail breaking, but still slow as ever.

What do you have going on tomorrow?

Nice! Looking forward to getting together with you when Gary comes up!

Hey, thanks for going in with me on this Scott!  I did manage to snag a few nice skinning pics so you'll have to send me your email.

Kyle - sorry we didn't hook up!  I was sorta focused on the NC area and anxious to get up high.  However, in retrospect, I probably should have chose something a bit more straightforward.  Oh well.  Next time, right?

author=alecapone link=topic=18749.msg79421#msg79421 date=1293897449">
What do you have going on tomorrow?

You should head this way Sunday night, we have some trailbreaking to do.

Reply to this TR

12-30-2010-pyramid-avi-path
alecapone
2010-12-31 10:57:10