Home > Trip Reports > Dec 30, 2010, Mt Snoqualmie

Dec 30, 2010, Mt Snoqualmie

12/30/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Andy Hill on 12/30/10 1:50pm
Just a quick post to give conditions on Mt Snoqualmie and the Slot.  16 went up, no went in.  12-18 inches of fist density on Monday's rain crust going up Phantom.  Localized wind loads, but nothing moving far.  Minimal propagation with surface sluff if it moved at all.  Sun crust developed toward end of day.  Off/on wind crust every 500 feet or so.  Couple iron men broke trail 3K up.  Poked into Slot on tether to get things moving.  Couldn't get to a pretty significant wind load on the left shoulder, so came out w/o the goods.  Considered it a win.  You be the judge from attached.  With predicted east winds coming, don't see quick improvements until a little warming.  Forewarned is forearmed.

Gorgeous! where is this exactly? I want to put that on my to do list!!!!

as if 16 lined up on the slot werent enough

author=Snowolf link=topic=18741.msg79330#msg79330 date=1293794293]
Gorgeous! where is this exactly? I want to put that on my to do list!!!!

That's the Slot Couloir, one of the best BC descents around Snoqualmie when conditions are right.

author=juan link=topic=18741.msg79338#msg79338 date=1293813287]
as if 16 lined up on the slot werent enough

...it was a Cascade Backcountry Ski Patrol outing.

I had half a mind to tag along, but it was my first day out on skis again; 4 week anniversary of a broken arm... (a little in the field physical therapy  :)) and my first day on dynafit bindings. Gorgeous day! So good to be back out again! Ended up Red Mt. way (not to the top) but got in some good turns. Snow seemed more sheltered and consistent then what you describe up Snoqualmie. Thanks for the report!

Good to meet you folks.  Sean and I skied top of the crooked with an 'alternate' entrance.  The top was scoured to the ice crust.  Went over towards the middle fork and then back up to the top of the Slot.  The exit to the phantom provided hard exercise.  The track is in now.  Cold temperatures could see further faceting along the ice lense and the snow on top developing slab like properties and supporting both fracture initiation and propagation.

Reply to this TR

dec-30-2010-mt-snoqualmie
Andy Hill
2010-12-30 21:50:39