Home > Trip Reports > October 13, 2004, Muir Snowfield

October 13, 2004, Muir Snowfield

10/13/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by gregL on 10/13/04 9:00am
khayak and I went to Muir today to test out his new "mid-fat" Dynafit rig, along with one of our lift-served buddies, Frank Neumann, who has been ski touring since way before the day - he's in his 60's now and didn't ride a lift in his native Germany until he was 14! Couldn't ask for a more beautiful day, St. Helens in the background kept giving off little puffs of steam which would dissipate in a few minutes. The snow was a mixture of frozen dirty old and fresh, sun-baked VERY SLOW new - every time you thought you had a decent turn going, you would hit a slow spot and get thrown forward, but it's still the best skiing in the Continental US right now!

Hey, that Frank looks a lot like the Frank who is my neighbor at Alpental --  Is that so?

forward, but it's still the best skiing in the Continental US right now!

I dunno, Colorado has been looking pretty good lately:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=22676
>:(

Corey: I think so - he's got a small studio in the top Alpental condo unit . . . used to be a Boeing engineer?

Phil: Damn, you're right, that's powder!

E-mail from Frank this morning: "actually I couldn't afford to buy a lift ticket until I was 21 and a graduated engineer. I started skiing at age 6 in east germany on bent wooden boards with some kind of toe bracket and leather straps for a binding. Steel edges and cable bindings were yet to be invented. The only turn possible was a Telemark. When I lived in west germany in my late teens I spent a few skiing vacations in the Alps and skinned up a lot of mountains. Didn't really learn any technique until I came to Seattle/Alpental in '68."

Reply to this TR

october-13-2004-muir-snowfield
gregL
2004-10-13 16:00:41