Home > Trip Reports > Dec 25, 2010, Paradise

Dec 25, 2010, Paradise

12/25/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by md2020 on 12/26/10 11:50am
Brenda and I headed up to Paradise with low expectations, as telemetry was showing it having been very warm with precip on Friday. Gate was open at 8:00, but we didn't arrive until 10:00. Headed up to Edith Crk breaking trail through a very weak rain crust? over a foot of what seemed like fairly light powder. Surprising considering it was 36F at the car. At around 5600' or so the crust dramatically disappeared, and the snow became considerabley deeper. Bundy's skied pretty nice, but a bit slow, until the crust appeared a couple hundred ft above the bridge. Still manageable though. We headed over to the "sheep pen" aka Mazama Bowl. Could have used a few more sheep, as there were only the two of us to break trail. Several runs into the bowl. Really nice. Quiet day, ended with a bit of beacon practice, and the usual arrival at the car at dark. Arrived late to our Christmas dinner reservation at Copper Crk, but they were cool.  Lots of snowballs and pt releases all around, but nothing big, and all from the day before as far as I could tell. I did make a quick pit over by Bundys and got a CT of 14 on the top 18" or so.

Here's one of Regine from last week (21 Dec, back bowl, no one else around except GaryV and Ed doing a tour down Mazama Ridge):

Reply to this TR

dec-25-2010-paradise
md2020
2010-12-26 19:50:20