Home > Trip Reports > 12-26-2010, Mt. Hood - Newton Creek

12-26-2010, Mt. Hood - Newton Creek

12/26/10
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Edgesport on 12/26/10 10:49am
8am start up Heather Canyon run out.  Lower sign said open so continued up until we hit the second sign closing the trail near the Heather Chairlift.  Crossed creek and headed up N. Face of Lower Heather Canyon with increasing winds.  A three inch wind crust / slab from the Christmas day warming could be sheared off but the snow underneath was consolidated and stable to 20 inches or more.  Gained the ridge at 5500 feet in 20mph winds and 40mph gusts.  The ridge has been transformed into huge curved cornices of hanging snow.  Visibility was generally good so we ventured up to 6200 just for the view.  HUGE bent cornices loomed over the entire ridge as far you could see.  Headed back down the ridge into the trees @5500 and found an opening in the smaller cornices.  Dug a small pit and found no crust, consistant snow past 3 feet and headed down.  Great snow and protected from wind we did two laps and left the way we came.  The crust in Heather was not fun but there were pockets of goodness.
Thanks for the TR and review of the conditions, although I am sure the snow conditions have made a turn for the worse today with the warmup this morning.  I have been wanting to go ski in that area but have never taken the time to get up there.  Looks fun.  I made the treck up Gnarl Ridge (1 ridge east) last year and found good turns, although the approach was a bit longer. You can check out the report at http://riversearch.blogspot.com/2010/02/mt-hood-back-country-skiing-gnarl-ridge.html

Nice! I have enjoyed a turn or two in the Newton drainage. Yeah, this rain today is a serious buzz kill...hoping the cold front moves in sooner rather than later!

Gnar is filling in nicely but the approach is still a maze of creek crossings.  The 20+ inches over the last 4 days should fill in the approach somewhat but the amount of water running in the creeks is huge!  If the winds would abate there will be more options but for right now Newton is a solid choice.  Hey that secrete stash looks like fun... where is that exactly?

author=eweiseth link=topic=18665.msg79095#msg79095 date=1293565237]
Thanks for the TR and review of the conditions, although I am sure the snow conditions have made a turn for the worse today with the warmup this morning.  I have been wanting to go ski in that area but have never taken the time to get up there.  Looks fun.  I made the treck up Gnarl Ridge (1 ridge east) last year and found good turns, although the approach was a bit longer. You can check out the report at http://riversearch.blogspot.com/2010/02/mt-hood-back-country-skiing-gnarl-ridge.html

I will leave you this hint.
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=3869835964349839893&postID=6118314663139056112

This person is roughly in the right area.  A quick look on a topo map should clue it in.  I have now been there two times and have yet to see another track, which based on how good it is and where it is, is nothing short of amazing.  That said, it is very short laps (700-800 vert MAYBE and is very rocky but it has plenty of great cliffs from 5 to 30+ feet and is easy to lap.

8) Ahhh I know the area but I haven't been in that area yet.  Headed up tomorrow to check out Mirror Lake.  If the snow is crap then I'll head up higher but this bowl is good fun when the conditions are right!

When you go into mirror lake do you park at skibowl, go down the road and head up the mirror lake trail, or do you head up through the resort?  I have always wanted to head up through the resort, but I am not sure how they feel about uphill traffic.  I always come back down through the resort after my final lap so I don't have to hike back up the road.

One of favorite tours when I have to make it short. Went up the 24th same route. Two laps then home for Christmas Eve dinner. Followed by a nice ZZZZZzzzzzzzz,

Have you or any one else on this thread skinned any of the ridges above the Little John XC area ?

Reply to this TR

12-26-2010-mt-hood-newton-creek
Edgesport
2010-12-26 18:49:34