Home > Trip Reports > 12-23-2010, stevens pass

12-23-2010, stevens pass

12/23/10
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by alecapone on 12/23/10 11:45pm
I wasn't going to write a report, but yesterday was exceptional. No pictures, but I can show you some from last year.

Happy to join skierlyles for some pow hunting up at stevens pass. Our intent was to find a good area and yo-yo it. I'd been at the pass riding every day this week with great results, and it keeps getting better.

We started off on the S&P highway(damn dogs) over to the diving board. East winds where cross loading the gullies running down to the road(all of which had been riding superbly the days prior). We took note of what was happening and considered it for a decent.

Then over to the north side. Light stable pow with some bottum.  the talus field is filling in nicely. we had a quick bite and decided to see if we could put some smiles on our faces. climbed a ridge with windscoured slopes to our right, and windloaded corniced chutes our left. I tried to whack off a piece of cornice for a view and a chunk the size of a van broke off too easily. It did help to show that the slopes below us where stable enough.

After we got our happy faces on we had some more food and discussed what to do next. Yo- yo, or go go? so we went. Over to the west side of Mt Crumpet, 10,000' above Whoville. after countouring over, we where able to hook up with an awesome skin track... that I put there a week ago. Thanks whoever maintained it! More great pow turns with just enough trees to make the low vis a non issue... so great, we went back up for a second lap on this slope, and then made the deproach out through whoville before dark set in. A quick phone call, and a chariot was waiting at the highway.

Then for some fun night riding at the resort with my lady.

Great day, thanks Chris!!
Nice work Ale. Too bad I am out here in Greenwater, it would be nice to head back to your neck of the woods.

Thanks. You're always welcome the pimp room.

Thinking of possibly heading down your way next week, and then for sure later in January when the Colorado guys are in town.

Alecapone- thanks for showing me the goods around your favorite haunts. There was certainly good pow to be found, along with some not so good wind affected stuff as well- glad we got more of the former than the latter. Let's do it again under better vis.

Who would have known the Grinch had such a good slope right outside his door?! Mount Crumpit is awesome! Maybe that is why he avoided the other Whos in Whoville for so long?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

Chris

Reply to this TR

12-23-2010-stevens-pass
alecapone
2010-12-24 07:45:35