Home > Trip Reports > Dec 23, 2010, Sun Top Look Out/FR 7315

Dec 23, 2010, Sun Top Look Out/FR 7315

12/23/10
Posted by Bandit on 12/23/10 11:34am
Left the Snow Park about 9 am to 2" of fresh in the parking area. I was the only vehicle parked. I guess everyone kept driving to Crystal Mt. I wanted to avoid the holiday crowds and get some solitude. I got all that . Didn't see a soul all day. ;D  About 5 hours of hiking with the AT skis got me to the top of Sun Top Fire Look Out. Fierce winds drove me down fast. I only spent about 10 minutes on top, just enough to take the skins off, load the camera and say final farewells. Winds were gusting and leaving wind lips and scoured snow down to the ice and rock. Got down just in time to hit the traffic jam on SR 410. More backcountry travels to come.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU9gP9HLmS4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZQEayxS-io
Awesome -- I've been waiting for the first Bandit adventures, since you're not burdened by the mountain job this year. 

Nice Bandit. Was the road pretty covered all the way up? I usually save this trip for the spring when everything is glop, it tends to corn up first because of the lower elevation. There are some pretty nice side Winter trips off the Buck Creek side too.

author=Joedabaker link=topic=18634.msg78820#msg78820 date=1293166533]
Nice Bandit. Was the road pretty covered all the way up? I usually save this trip for the spring when everything is glop, it tends to corn up first because of the lower elevation. There are some pretty nice side Winter trips off the Buck Creek side too.

Only a couple of spots that were bare. That was under some heavy tree canopies. The top had about 2-3'.

author=Marcus link=topic=18634.msg78816#msg78816 date=1293163195]
Awesome -- I've been waiting for the first Bandit adventures, since you're not burdened by the mountain job this year. 

The mountain job was great when we had enough lift ops on the chairs. With only one lift op at each station, that cuts into your ski time. :-[

Plus all the negative energy from the boss really turned me off. I figured my time off from regular work would be better spent in the backcountry. More to come!

Dug your musical accompaniment to the descent. What a timely selection. Schiller's  truncated ode to Universal Brotherhood is translated below. Thanks for sharing your ski adventure and the musical reminder of life's joys.

Oh friends, not these tones!
Rather, let us raise our voices in more pleasing
And more joyful sounds!
Joy! Joy! Joy! Joy!

Joy, beautiful Godly spark
Daughter of Elysium,
We enter, drunk with fire,
Into your sanctuary,
Your magic reunites
What custom strictly divided.
All men become brothers,
Where your gentle wing rests.