Home > Forum > Weather links not all working

Weather links not all working

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
07 Oct 2004 13:59 #169870 by Charles
Weather links not all working was created by Charles
Several people have written to let me know that a bunch of NWS/NOAA links in the weather links section of TAY are no longer working. As often seems to occur, the people running the government sites changed the URLs for their pages without notice. Normally I would go right in and update the links on my site so that the weather links section was again fully usable, but my mom has been in the hospital and I have been totally occupied with being with her and helping my dad. I expect to be able to get the links fixed by this coming weekend. Thanks to the people who let me know about this problem, as otherwise I still would not have been aware of it.<br><br>Charles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
07 Oct 2004 17:21 #169872 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Weather links not all working
Hi Charles,<br><br>I'm very sorry to hear about your mom, and what must be a very stressful time for all of you. I hope she (and you) are doing better.<br><br>I'm sure I speak for the entire TAY community in asking that you not worry about updating links or performing other site maintenance until whenever this becomes convenient and stress-free.<br><br>Best to you and yours,<br><br>Mark

More
08 Oct 2004 02:24 #169873 by Pete A
Replied by Pete A on topic Re: Weather links not all working
sorry to hear about your mom Charles...hope she starts to get better soon.<br><br><br>looks like NOAA's site is all messed up, hard to even find the mountain forecast page...<br><br>if anyone is looking for the new links to the WA cascades forecasts-<br><br>N.Cascades: <br><br>www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/index.ph...&map.x=291&map.y=109

Central Cascades:
www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/index.ph...&map.x=276&map.y=295

Rainier:

iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/wa/public.html

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
09 Oct 2004 08:05 #169885 by Charles
Replied by Charles on topic Re: Weather links not all working
Thanks, my mom is doing OK. I had a little time to look into these links - what a total mess! There are still links on the NWS/NOAA pages which they haven't even bothered to update, but I guess it was good enough...for government work. They also didn't bother to include the new URL on their "not found" pages, a leaving all of us to track down the new pages in the maze of their web sites. So now I get to try to find all of those pages so that I can update my site's pages, and everyone else gets to do the same to make their bookmarks/favorites useable again.<br><br>So much for ranting. Bud, thanks for including the Cascades links - I still haven't come across those in my hunting. I have included them in the updated "Forecasts: Text" section of TAY weather links, although I hope to eventually find the text-only versions without those useless images across the top (showing a constant temperature of 0 degrees F [good powder!!!] for the next 7 days).<br><br>When I have some more time I will try to fix more of the broken links, but I think the "Forecasts: Text" section is probably useable again.

• Jon Garrison
  • [jgarris]
More
09 Oct 2004 12:59 #169887 by Jon Garrison
Replied by Jon Garrison on topic Re: Weather links not all working
Charles- Thanks for keeping all of this info together. I have located most of the text only URLs for the NWS forecasts, and they can be seen on my personal bookmark webpage at bluegill.freeshell.org up in the upper right hand corner. Feel free to use whatever you like...

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
10 Oct 2004 05:25 #169894 by Charles
Thanks for the links! There are a few more that I still need to get for WA and OR, but I cannot find an index page anywhere for all of those text-only forecasts. Does anyone have links for index pages of text-only for WA and OR?<br><br>If no index links, these are the most important links I'm missing for text-only forecasts (like this one: W. slopes central Cascades ):<br><br>WA<br>Olympics<br>E. slopes S. Cascades<br><br>OR<br>Cascades: N, S Central, and S<br>Portland 7day<br><br>Also feel free to post any other weather links you might find useful (I still haven't started to tackle the radar section of links).<br>

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
17 Oct 2004 13:17 - 17 Oct 2004 13:22 #169924 by Jeff Huber

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
17 Oct 2004 13:32 #169925 by Jeff Huber
Replied by Jeff Huber on topic Re: Weather links not all working
For some reason YaBB has placed in my post a space between the r and z in the 'zone' parameter of the above urls. There should be no space there. If you click the links the url you go to doesn't have this space.

• Charles
  • [24!ShukSan$9]
More
19 Oct 2004 17:21 #169942 by Charles
Gaper Jeffey, thanks for the Oregon links. With those and a couple of odd Wa links I tracked down, I think I have got all of the links working in that section of the weather browser now. The weather browser basically functions as my bookmarks, so I was lost with all of those broken links.<br><br>A benefit of having to update all of those links (and probably the only one) is that I found some more useful weather links, which I have added. I really like the "experimental graphical digital forecasts" pages - there's a lot of data on them that is really easy to access.<br><br>I have also restored most of the broken links in the satellite and radar sections of the weather browser, so those pages are now useable. I fixed all of the broken links on the NWAC telemetry pages a while ago, and have been told that the new URLs for those should be stable for a while.<br><br>Thanks to everyone who helped out in getting all of the broken links restored.