Home > Forum > Best place to take parents in MRNP?

Best place to take parents in MRNP?

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
05 Oct 2004 05:47 #169861 by Jeff Huber
Best place to take parents in MRNP? was created by Jeff Huber
My parents are visiting me from California next week. I'd like to take them to see Mt Rainier. Where would be the best place to take them? My mother is in her 60s and not very mobile so any hikes would have to be very short. They also enjoy vistor centers a lot. We wll have a full day to see the park.<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>Jeff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2004 06:03 #169862 by wolfs
Replied by wolfs on topic Re: Best place to take parents in MRNP?
Sounds like a good day for the DAMROD 8)<br><br>My recommendation for best place to see the mountain after just short hike that is not steep (probably 200yrds max) is the Emmons vista, just downhill from the S edge of the Sunrise parking lot. It's also right next door to the Sunrise visitor center. Paradise is an inevitable destination, but actually all the trails at Paradise are pretty steep despite being paved, when I took my grandma there once long ago she had trouble with those. Plus, if out of flower season, for several miles of these until you either get higher or closer to the Nisqually moraine edge, you don't see much different from Paradise trails than you do from the car.<br><br>Another worthwhile trip once there is to drive up to Chinook Pass, which gives a slightly more distant view along with nice fall color in the meadows. Views there are all good from the car.<br><br>For a different experience, the Grove of Patriarchs trail near Ohanapecosh is nice for big trees, but it does add up to 2-3 miles round trip with one very short hill.

More
05 Oct 2004 14:35 #169863 by J.P.
Replied by J.P. on topic Re: Best place to take parents in MRNP?
Note that the visitor center at Sunrise was already closed for the season when I was up last week. <br><br>In addition to Wolfs suggestions, the parking area at Sunrise Point (the last hairpin turn short of Sunrise proper) also provides good car accessible views of Mount Adams as well as Rainier. <br><br>Of course, with the change in weather, the mural inside the bank in Eatonville may offer the best view of Rainier next week.... :)