Home > Trip Reports > Dec 22, 2010, Red Mountain

Dec 22, 2010, Red Mountain

12/22/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by jeri534 on 12/22/10 10:37am
First time exploring in the snoqualmie backcountry, cool area, went through commonwealth basin and up red mountain. Stability was good, snow was creamy for the most part. This tour was not the best for a splitboard, lot of hiking just to get to the base and out. Went with doc/stephen and scott, thanks for putting up with me duriung the last leg of the tour. Enjoy the pics

Cool day to be up high at the pass, eh? It was awesome when the low winter sun started hitting Granite, Snoqualmie, and the low clouds.

Great day, Jeri - It was nice to meet you and Scott and I'm glad we got out. Thanks for sharing all the pictures so quickly.... you got some great shots.

Here's the link to our descent track that I captured on the Droid:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=206434048162965682774.0004980b41787dc59ed09

If you're unfamiliar with Google Maps, hover over the "More" button within the map, and then check the box for the Terrain layer to get a better view.

nice, could you email me that pic of me crossing the log?

lol thanks

Sent it last night - you should have - congrats on your splitboard log crossing triumph.

Few more details now that I'm alive again - the above mentioned log crossing around 3500' was the only way we saw to get across Commonwealth Creek (without putting your boots in water, at least), until the snowpack made a sketchy descent crossing possible starting at 4100'. 3 skiers passed us on the uphill and set the skin track from a solid creek crossing at 4200' to about 5400', climbing the southern side of the west face. They then set a boot pack to the summit, starting on firm and thin crust and topping out through some deep and fluffy (I had some trouble on this part keeping the steps from collapsing). Those guys were strong and fast, and I though I wad a little bit of trouble sticking to the skin track around some of the steeper kick turns, I was grateful for the track. One of them called the boot pack "glorious" if I remember correctly, though I topped out with 10% more character. Big thanks for breaking trail! 

Huge kudos to Scott, who was the only one of our 3 who had been in Commonwealth before, and shared his knowledge of the area, and was inspirational when he stormed the boot pack to the summit. We talked about his experiences ascending the gully to South of our approach, which is the way that the guide books direct, though the way we went seemed appropriate for the snow level and from our approach on the West side of the creek. Any additional insight on that gully (up or down) appreciated.

Cheers,
Doc

My thanks also to the trailbreakers, you got us to the top.  Thanks again also for the meds, you saved my bacon.  On a side note, it had never occurred to me to include a quart of grog in the first-aid kit.  I am going to have to think about that...

You're welcome. Glad everyone made it, as it was a good summit day.

Team Fosters

Sweet pics!  dig that pano...nice work.

We were up on Thursday 12/23.  The gully doesn't seem like a good option for the uptrack.  It would need a lot more fill and it is exposed to anything sliding from above.  It is a fun descent, but could still use a little more snow at the bottom.  I liked the uptrack on the rib, thank you to whoever set it.

We were a little late coming down and some of the sun affected snow was crusting over, an alternating mix of skiiable crust and fluff.  I ran over a few hidden rocks on the descent, a little more cover would be better (2-3 ft).  I was at Kendall last Sunday and the bobsled run coming out was pretty tedious.  Thursday I opted to pull the poles back out and was able to pole everything except the start at the base of Red and the bridge crossing.  Parts of the track were really fun, like a miniature banked slalom with a few moguls thrown in.

Nice pics. Just wanted to point out that the rock tower in the first pic is the "infamous" Phone Booth Peak, which has been a subject of controversy.(15 pages ). New route potential for you climber dudes !

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=666264#666264

Nice TR: Jeri.....

BTW.... This is Scott from snowboardingforum.com

was the Scott that you hiked with none other than Ale Capone by chance?

T'was me, Redshift the obscure.

Nice!...did Gary tell you, I picked up the Voile Mojo RX this year? Looking forward to hitting the BC with you when he comes back up Jan....looking for some new cool places to tour and this area looks pretty incredible from the multiple TR`s I have seen.

Don't let redshift's obscure comment confuse you. we are both Scott, but he is not I, and I am not him.

Funny, I have been out with every Scott in this thread. there are at least 4 counting me!

Nice work on Red guys. The mountain, not the shift.  Looked really good in the picture Ryan posted a few days ago.

Scott.

ps.. I am going to start a discussion elsewhere about the Colorado guys coming.

But Scott...  (ale that is) Isn't your name John? 

Scott John Doe McMuffin last I heard.

And I too is a Scott..... ;D we're taking over..... ;)

author=haggis link=topic=18580.msg79202#msg79202 date=1293677547]
Scott John Doe McMuffin last I heard.

and now add +1 Scot.

Scott John is only my patrol name.

Reply to this TR

dec-22-2010-red-mountain
jeri534
2010-12-22 18:37:35