Home > Trip Reports > September 30, 2004, Mt Rainier, Muir Snowfield

September 30, 2004, Mt Rainier, Muir Snowfield

9/30/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Jeff Huber on 10/2/04 5:11am
Not deterred by elevated volcanic hazard Ben Shefftz visited me from South Lake Tahoe to make September and October turns thus completing 25 consecutive months of skiing for him (or 24 if you ask his brother) and a measly 12 consecutive months for me. After the 20 minute construction delay between Longmire and Paradise we arrived at the Paradise lot to spectacular weather, fall colors in the knolls above Paradise and a scenic layer of marine clouds in the valleys to the west. While enjoying the sublime views we hiked to 8285ft where we donned skins and continued to Muir. Once on the Muir snowfield we heard and saw numerous large rockfall from the Nisqually Cleaver, Gibraltar rock and other formations whose names I don't know. At Muir we bathed in the sun, ate lunch, then begin our descent. Snow conditions were perfect corn, easily some of the best snow I've skied in the past 12 months. With two short portages (only one of which would be required with a better route) we were able to descend to 7200ft for a net ski descent of 2865 vertical ft. Not bad for September!

Ben making a fast GS turn in the corn; in the upper right is Camp Muir:

click here to see a photo showing coverarge on the Snowfields.

More photos and verbatim text here.
I boarded the Muir in late July. I am wondering if the deep suncups are still a factor in the fall

Thanks

I boarded the Muir in late July. I am wondering if the deep suncups are still a factor in the fall

Normally I'm sure they are. However right now, thanks to the snow of two weeks ago, they are not.

Nice pic., looks like Ben knows how to ski.

Reply to this TR

september-30-2004-mt-rainier-muir-snowfield
Jeff Huber
2004-10-02 12:11:02