Home > Trip Reports > Dec 19, 2010, Snoqualmie Tour

Dec 19, 2010, Snoqualmie Tour

12/19/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by ryanl on 12/20/10 4:00pm
A group of us went up to Snoqualmie on Sunday looking for some new terrain and good snow. We got a bonus and saw Gus--  the hamster discussion inspiring mass response inducing Stoneman Couloir dropping Wonder Dog-- preparing to throw down on the Slot.  After that, the rest of the day seemed mundane.

Top of Snoqualmie:

We skied the top pitch of the Crooked and then veered hard skier's right to cross a ridge before heading down towards the middle fork. Snow was wind slabby, but our bomber avalanche control had us all turning off our beacons before dropping in:

http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j372/ryan_lurie/?action=view&current=MVI_7620.mp4

Here's a shot of the ridge we crossed:

Purrrrrr:

Amar, sketched but solid:

We decided to stop our descent around 4800', although coverage was good enough to drop lower. Our plan was to cross back over the ridge connecting Snoqualmie with Lundin.  Looking towards that ridge from our lowpoint:

As we goit higher and closer to the sun the views continued to get better and better:

Red's definitely in condition:

Snow felt a little more stable on the the Commonwealth side, fore those who are interested

Thanks Dave(s), Jeremy, Amar, and Monka for the great day. Sure feels good to be skiing again........
Love the cornice stomping.  Awesome.  Looks like good views and good snow.  Nice.

Nice seeing you Ryan. Gus had a blast in the Slot and decided to drop it twice. The steeper the pitch the more he likes it as deep & mellow are a wallow fest for him. Once I find my camera's cable I'll post a few pics . . .

Very Nice...... First descent by a glove and pole without human???

Thanks for the TR Ryan. It was nice to get out with all of you. 

Backcountry Bomb--- perfect Christmas present for  the cornice dropping ski mountaineer in your life.
http://www.backcountrybomb.com/

Looks like a great day! The backcountry bomb also came to mind when I watched the video.

The line in pic 3 looks so tasty - is that Crooked or is that the Slot?

That is looking down toward the middle fork.

OMG that is gorgeous! I am also really digging that chute.

Great weather on Sunday, just a little stiff on those shady N. aspects.

Nice pics.

"but our bomber avalanche control had us all turning off our beacons before dropping in" 
Is this a new methodology for saving on batteries   ::) :'(

"but our bomber avalanche control had us all turning off our beacons before dropping in" 

Gotta say I'm stumped by this one too, as I wear mine even when skiing inbounds when there's been a good dump and the possibility of instability.  Better safe than sorry? 

author=cardog100 link=topic=18542.msg78728#msg78728 date=1293069649]

Gotta say I'm stumped by this one too, as I wear mine even when skiing inbounds when there's been a good dump and the possibility of instability.   Better safe than sorry?   
author=GerryH link=topic=18542.msg78643#msg78643 date=1292992488]
Is this a new methodology for saving on batteries   ::) :'(

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) I guess some people don’t understand sarcasm.

author=dave_perkins link=topic=18542.msg78743#msg78743 date=1293074668]

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) I guess some people don’t understand sarcasm.

maybe the sarcasm meter was turned off to save batteries.
;D

Cardog and Gerry i respect your sincerity. Just making a little joke. The reality is that I usually put my beacon on as I get out of bed in the morning. That way I'm invincible for the drive as well as the tour  ;)

author=ryanl link=topic=18542.msg78749#msg78749 date=1293080775] Just making a little joke.

I often don't get jokes either, too gullible.  Except for Oyvind's shocking Norske style, but I got yours :).  oh being there probably helped-good times!!  Thanks!

FTTM first tiger tames the middlefork

author=Monika link=topic=18542.msg78761#msg78761 date=1293119186]
I often don't get jokes either, too gullible.  Except for Oyvind's shocking Norske style, but I got yours :).  oh being there probably helped-good times!!  Thanks!

FTTM first tiger tames the middlefork

Oyvind's jokes are delivered like a sack of flour to the head, they're definitely hard to miss...

Great Photos of the N Side. Thanks for breaking trail most of the way up. The lower apron of the slot held the most wind protected snow. Lap 2 was actually better in the slot as the wind affected got broken up a bit.

Great meeting you guys.

Jan

Reply to this TR

dec-19-2010-snoqualmie-tour
ryanl
2010-12-21 00:00:47