Home > Trip Reports > December 19, 2010, Snoqualmie Pass

December 19, 2010, Snoqualmie Pass

12/19/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by silaswild on 12/19/10 8:22am
Worried about wind affected snow, we stayed in the trees for most of the blue sky day on 6-12" of cool fluff on a firm base. Later in the day we ventured into some small bowls that were wind protected. 20 year Reunion of the Fairweather Four was a great success!
Surprised I didn't see you guys, but didn't see anyone, nor tracks, all day.

Saw the same 6-12" on bomber crust.

Windslab forming along ridgetops, but extent off the ridgetop was surprisingly short. Backward cornices gave easy shears, but never better than Q2. Sweet sloughing turns on my first lap led to a second lap's center-punch of a slope I'd been expecting to avoid.

Turns to the car were surprisingly good. Thin sun crust building on S slopes, but still skied well.

Great last turns of Autumn! Happy holidays, TAY!

We had a trip yesterday on a North facing treed slope they yielded nothing like those nice turns.  We were at 4700ft and picked the wrong spot by the sounds of it.

Nice to meet you Silas, thanks for sharing the fluff.  We entered the W facing open slopes at about 5400, well below the ridgeline.  Slight wind affect at surface, other wise 20 - 24 inches of nice gradually increasing density down to the crust.  Extremely good bond to the rain crust, column collapsed before any shear.  Great day with sun, views and good snow.

Good to get out with you Seelaaaassss...let's do it again soon.

Ollalie to Silver Peak basin was not very good on Sunday.  Ollalie itself was a wind-blasted mess, with alternating areas of scoured rain crust and powder niches.  The upper basin quickly got very bottomless and a bit scary at the steep rolls due I guess to wind transport.  The lower basin as usual was the best of the bunch but even there it was pretty wind-damaged.  Still a nice day out.

We were on Catherine and same findings as Silver.  Thought I'd picked a clever spot to tour but alas.

Nice battle scar Silas!

Skiing with your face again, Silas?  Great pictures Kaj...

Reply to this TR

december-19-2010-snoqualmie-pass
silaswild
2010-12-19 16:22:35