Home > Trip Reports > December 16, 2010, Snoqualmie Pass, Slot Couloir

December 16, 2010, Snoqualmie Pass, Slot Couloir

12/16/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Forest McBrian on 12/18/10 4:23pm
On Thursday the 16th a friend and I skied the Slot couloir on Snoqualmie Mountain. We skinned up the Phantom Slide, where low snow cover still makes for tricky track setting. We couldn't resist doing a lap in the glades near timberline, given the unusually good snow for a south slope at 4,500 feet. The Slot itself yielded an adventurous descent; we triggered a series of 20-30 cm soft slabs that ran on a storm snow layer. They entrained plenty of snow as they ran, one of them going at least 250m down slope. A few hidden rocks added to the craziness (my friend trashed the edge on a brand new pair of skis). We opted to exit the basin a little to the west of the standard gully, uninspired by the prospect of more slabs.

The Crooked couloir appeared to be pretty thin: lots of little trees where it veers to the west midway, and a short rappel or two at the bottom. On the whole, however, options for touring at the pass are opening up rapidly.

I didn't manage to grab any photos. Maybe next time...
We saw you guys start up the Phantom while we were in the parking lot, but we decided to catch first chair at Alpental for an epic powder run down International before hitting the skin track.  Thanks for the ski cuts in the Slot, we probably wouldn't have skied it if you guys hadn't done that...  The skiing on the apron below the slot was amazing!  We were unaware of an alternative exit, so we took the standard gully.  There was some loose snow sluffs, but the wind affected snow wasn't very cohesive yet.  Skiing back down the Phantom was unusually good.

A few mediocre pictures:
http://www.alpineevolution.net/2010/12/mt-snoqualmie-skiing-slot.html

Reply to this TR

december-16-2010-snoqualmie-pass-slot-couloir
Forest McBrian
2010-12-19 00:23:17