Home > Trip Reports > Dec 15-16, 2010, French Cabin Creek

Dec 15-16, 2010, French Cabin Creek

12/15/10
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Larry_R on 12/17/10 7:57am
Jane and I were back up the Cle Elum valley for our first ski camping trip of the season this Wednesday €“ Thursday. With all the recent rains and then a fair amount of new snow, we were not sure if we would be able to make it to our regular spot on Sasse Ridge, so we stopped at the French Cabin Creek road to check the snow. Perhaps 8 inches newer snow on top of large grained unconsolidated 'rotten€™ snow making for a lot of work. We decided the best bet was our early season - heavy snow location up the afore mentioned road (#4308) just past the Cle Elum River campground.

A few tips; after recent snows the road from I-90 is plowed by three different agencies, but it all seems to work fine. The final section is plowed by the county, and typically the plow will arrive at 4308 say 9 to 9:30 am. So if you are early and the snow is too deep, just wait! I take a big snow shovel and shovel out a parking space if necessary so I'm as far off the road as possible. This can save a lot of shoveling after the plow goes by if there is a big snowfall. (The plows need to keep their momentum up in these conditions, so they may not be able to minimize the snow around your car.) The good thing is that you really don't need to worry about getting stuck at the end of the road after a snowfall.

Rd 4308 is groomed for snowmobiles, but when we got there it had not been groomed recently, and not a single snowmobile in the whole valley that we could hear €“ for the whole trip. This is very unusual, but we enjoyed it. Incidentally, although I have not tried it, there could be some nice fish scale XC skiing down road 4310.

There are some nice views as you ski up: here's one (below).

And here's a link to a bunch more:
http://cid-d9374555cbe355aa.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/French%20Cabin%20Creek%5EJ%20Dec%202010

We were lucky Thursday morning; the road had been groomed in the night, and not a track on it, just an inch of fresh snow. So what we thought was going to be a 'no turns' trip ended up being quite delightful.

I€™d also like to add that in spite of 'user group€™ disagreements between snowmobilers and skiers, there are some really nice caring snowmobile riders out there. Jane and I met one such fellow, Ron W. from Ronald (just north of Roslyn). He had seen our car early in the morning with all the snow on top, and was worried that there were some skiers up the hill in trouble. He was just starting out on his somewhat older machine towing a sled with rescue stuff when we met him as we were walking back to the car. Jane and I were both quite touched.

Larry

Awesome Larry -- I've been waiting for your first report of the season.  Sounds great.

author=Larry_R link=topic=18482.msg78298#msg78298 date=1292630257]

I’d also like to add that in spite of ‘user group’ disagreements between snowmobilers and skiers, there are some really nice caring snowmobile riders out there. Jane and I met one such fellow, Ron W. from Ronald (just north of Roslyn). He had seen our car early in the morning with all the snow on top, and was worried that there were some skiers up the hill in trouble. He was just starting out on his somewhat older machine towing a sled with rescue stuff when we met him as we were walking back to the car. Jane and I were both quite touched.

Larry

Glass half full... 

Reply to this TR

dec-15-16-2010-french-cabin-creek
Larry_R
2010-12-17 15:57:37