Home > Trip Reports > Dec 11, Skyline Ridge - Tree Skiing - Vid

Dec 11, Skyline Ridge - Tree Skiing - Vid

12/15/10
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Pierce on 12/12/10 7:33am
We decided to head out to Steven's Pass to do Skyline Ridge Saturday.  We planned on having a low key day, so we skipped our normal 5am departure and left Seattle at eight.  Big mistake because I think every resort rider in Western Wa decided to ski Stevens.  By the time we got there the Pass was a nightmare, lines of cars waiting to pull into the parking lots, hardly any parking spaces.  Once you got into the lots, people where getting stuck, blocking traffic.  I am amazed how many people will pay money to stand in long lift lines in dismal weather for a few turns.  A firm reminder why I steer clear of resorts areas.

Once we got to the Skyline Ridge TH, it was actually quite enjoyable, a few skiers, a handful more snowshoers, but we pretty much had the area to ourselves.  We were able to follow a well packed trail to the lake, and from there we broke trail through some pretty deep snow to the top of the ridge.  The snow was deep, reasonably wet, but very stable.  We skied through the trees back to the TH.  I found it pretty challenging skiing, heavy snow, low light, tight tress, but still a lot of fun.  Then sat in the Steven's parking lot gridlock as more cars got stuck blocking our way out.

Here's a link to a short vid of some tree skiing down from Skyline ridge;

http://www.thealpineobsession.com/2010-ski-videos.html

Reply to this TR

dec-11-skyline-ridge-tree-skiing-vid
Pierce
2010-12-12 15:33:45