Home > Trip Reports > September 21, 2004, Mt Hood, Southside

September 21, 2004, Mt Hood, Southside

9/21/04
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Jeff Huber on 9/21/04 12:19pm
Intent on enjoying the outcome of last week's rare weather event I evaded all moral, social and employment conventions to ski today. I was initially planning to do Muir until Markharf shattered my heart into millions of little pieces by responding to my "Planned trips" thread with, "Sorry but Muir is utterly and completely tracked out". I was crushed akin to a teenage girl stood up on her prom date.

Wallowing in freshiez despair I started to hit rock bottom. If Muir will not put out for me then maybe a life of drugs and violence will. As I drove to the shady area of Burnside to begin a life of self destruction I spotted off in the distance a large white volcano. Could I be hallucinating? Is there really any other volcanoes in the PNW besides the mighty Rainier? Oh wait indeed there is, and there just happens to be one 90 minutes from my house! I headed back home and set my alarm for 6am.

Arriving at the base of Mt Hood my deep dark depression induced from Markharf's post begin to lift. The sky was perfectly blue and Mt Hood was perfectly white. I skinned from a few hundred vertical feet above the lodge to a bit below Crater Rock. The snow was perfect with plenty pockets of fresh. I de-skinned then made fun turns all the way down. I was now at peace with my shattered dreams of Muir.

Southside of Hood from a bit below Silcox:

Thanks for the smiles this morning with your TR and glad your shattered heart is now put back together.  Looks like you had some fun on Hood.  :D  Let's hope we get some more freshies, there's a group of TAY'ers heading down to the Silcox on Sept 30 for an overnighter.   ;D

Markharf shattered my heart into millions of little pieces. I was crushed akin to a teenage girl stood up on her prom date.

Ooops.  So sorry.  Glad to hear of your narrow escape from a dissolute life and eternal damnation.  

Reply to this TR

september-21-2004-mt-hood-southside
Jeff Huber
2004-09-21 19:19:06