Home > Trip Reports > Crystal BC - 12.10-11.10

Crystal BC - 12.10-11.10

12/15/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Stugie on 12/12/10 3:37am
First of all, thanks to all the awesome people that toured the last couple of days.  Not only was it a great time for meeting and touring with new people, but also reuniting with old friends and good times at the Elk.

Fri - Started out with signs of bluebird, but eventually the clouds moved in.  Nonetheless, we had some amazing powder turns!  Dug a pit at around 6600' on E facing slope in Cement Basin (about 30-32*).  Didn't go to the ground, but went down about 5'.  Specifically looking for buried depth hoar and found the consistency of the snowpack to be almost uniform all the way down.  The depth hoar was about 2' feet down, and was identified through a quick shovel shear.  Snowpack allowed for me to insert my finger just up to my second knuckle, just past my second knuckle at the depth hoar.  Quick compression CT 18, Q2.  Cement Basin and East Peak skied EXCELLENT and many shouts of excitement could be heard.  At the summit, winds seemed to be coming from the S and getting stronger.

Sat - Started early to reach top of E. Peak.  Winds increased significantly, although temps were still low.  Cement again skied well, however while crossing to Lakes Basin we observed the NE section of the northern cirque of Cement had slid overnight naturally, most likely due to windloading.  Skied low angle N facing run in the basin, and the snow was good.  As we skinned out, we called it due to the consistency of snow changing and fearing the rising temps bringing more unstable conditions.  Kept to the ridge, dropped into the rib on E. Peak around 2pm.  Upon reaching the prominent portion of the rib, we knew it would go and performed a hefty ski cut.  The resulting slide was more humbling than what we had predicted €“ about 45-50 ft across, 2.5€™ deep.  It ran through the trees tremendously fast and from there we chose our line down VERY cautiously.  Joined our friends at the Elk.

I think that props need to be given where due, and although I€™m not sure if my partners Sat. wish to remain anonymous or not, they are some great people.  The three of us were very vocal and kept together well, maintaining safety as an utmost priority, and skied down some sketchy terrain as textbook as possible.  As we stated to each other yesterday, €œIt€™s not a day to write home about, it€™s making sure we can write home another day.€  Yeah for Pineapple Express compressing our base in this €œcleansing€ period!
Great report and great learning day!  Sounds like your group is doing it right.  Gotta know that nobody is down in those trees though.....Just so you will know, depth hoar usually only happens at the bottom of the snowpack, buried surface hoar is what we usually find within the snowpack between layers.  There is more to it than that but you are probably remembering it all now.javascript:replaceText('%20:)',%20document.postmodify.message);

Friday was great. Good to meet and ski with you. We'll do it again sometime soon. Andres..

Great to see you, too bad we never actually got to tour together this time, but maybe next time ;)  Oh, and nice report!  Ashlie

Reply to this TR

crystal-bc-12-10-11-10
Stugie
2010-12-12 11:37:58