Home > Trip Reports > Dec 11 ONP Hurricane

Dec 11 ONP Hurricane

12/15/10
WA Olympics
Posted by runcle on 12/11/10 10:27am
The road opened on hour late due to "equipment breakdown." Well worth the wait though. Under mostly sunny and windless skies I broke trail out to the Hill in 2 1/2 feet of dense, deep new and was pretty spent by the time I made it to the base of Hurricane Hill.  I think maybe I'll wait for the Gary/Jan/Jeff trio to break trail for me next time :)

Best views were in the morning as clouds were drifting up valley for most of the afternoon obscuring my route. I snapped a few pics. The beauty of the snow laden trees was really striking. Considerable avy danger kept me on the crest for most of the afternoon but the snow seemed pretty stable, a little sticky on the south side though. Managed a few silky smooth turns among the trees later in the day. On return I met up with a few familiar faces on light gear, two split boarder's, and a couple snow shoe rs. The sun really can shine up there as the last pic taken on Nov 28 demonstrates.

I've never seen the ski area so fully covered with snow. Even the typically wind blown ridges looked skiable.
Wow - I skied the hill last year and enjoyed it late season, these pictures are salivating....nice job!

Great Pix Doug,
It was hard to work Friday knowing the road was open, the sky was blue and there was all that new snow to be skied. Sorry we couldn't be there to share the trail breaking duties, we got our share of it on Saturday though.  ;)

Gary

Can't beat that weather, AND you beat the crowds and traffic!  Nicely done!

Reply to this TR

dec-11-onp-hurricane
runcle
2010-12-11 18:27:12