Home > Trip Reports > Dec 04, 2010, Lichtenberg Mt

Dec 04, 2010, Lichtenberg Mt

12/4/10
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Cornfed on 12/8/10 2:00am
Tremendous first day out...  With a new baby, the birthday tour was about the best excuse I could get to escape with a 2 week old at home.  Nick was good enough to join me for this tour -- lot's of uphill skiing and survival tree skiing on the descent.  The only real good skiing on this route is the top 400'.  From doing it once before, I'd recommend a more northerly approach and descent that hits the other lake NW of the lake we hit (visible in the attached route map if I attached correctly).  I could see the descent from the ridge-line once on it, but by then, we didn't have much daylight left and thought we better descend the way we came.  Other than the last 1/4 of road nearest the trailhead, you can slide right out to the cars on the way out.

Snow coverage is good, but I'm glad we're headed back into a wet week - another foot will turn the survival skiing into a more comfortable descent.  Terrain traps, buried stumps and trees and large boulders still presented interesting obstacles.

Snow stability was awesome.

2700ft and 4.45mi one way. Not bad. :)

The slopes around Lake Valhalla especially below are great.  Wide open old growth 25 degree slopes.    Pictures?

Hey thanks for putting in the track, I went up there Sunday morning with my dog and had a great time for 1st ski day this season.  The snow was still very nice especially above the lake.

Reply to this TR

dec-04-2010-lichtenberg-mt
Cornfed
2010-12-08 10:00:16