Home > Trip Reports > Dec 5, 2010, Cowboy Ridge, Whistler backcountry

Dec 5, 2010, Cowboy Ridge, Whistler backcountry

12/5/10
Canada BC
Posted by runningclouds on 12/7/10 1:09pm
Whistler backcountry pass is unchanged from last year: $45 and a demeaning vetting process: show me your skins, show me your beacon, shovel, and probe, specify your route, destination, licence plate, name, surname, age, do you have gps, map, compass, food, water, radio, satphone, have you ever been member of communist party? are you with us or are you with them? sign here, here and here and your initials here and here.

All this asked by an Aussie fresh on the job hardly knowing the difference between a beacon and a radio. What a way to start a trip. Still the inconvenience of participating in a demo of what totalitarian life might look like in Canada is worth the speedy access to the top of Whistler Mountain.

Skied the a variation on the standard route to Singing Pass with nice long rung from Flute to Oboe Creek, then up to Oboe and down to Singing Pass, three laps on Cowboy Ridge and back via Musical Bumps to Lesser Flute and out via Whistler runs.

Snow was awesome but not as dry as previous week, you could feel it when crossing someones tracks. Lots of people out the day before and on Sunday as well but everybody got their fresh tracks. Snow stability was good, nothing major observed. Cowboy Ridge had a recent avalanche still visible (size 1, the convex roll on the S side of Cowboy Ridge). Skied bunch of rolls hard but nothing gave way.

Slideshow
http://www.flickr.com/photos/runningclouds/sets/72157625544415294
Thanks for the report.
That snow sure looked sweet!

author=Joedabaker link=topic=18354.msg77826#msg77826 date=1291864265]
That snow sure looked sweet!

Ditto that!

author=runningclouds link=topic=18354.msg77726#msg77726 date=1291784978]
Whistler backcountry pass is unchanged from last year: $45 and a demeaning vetting process . . .

I have given up on the BC pass and moved to simply getting a lift ticket, usually not too much more if part of the prepaid portion of an Edge card or similar. 

In addition to bypassing the inquisition and related delays, a huge benefit is the flexibility of knowing that, if conditions OB are not suitable, you can go back in and get some runs, or go sidecountry such as runs on Flute via Harmony chair (assuming Symphony is closed which it usually is).

author=runningclouds link=topic=18354.msg77726#msg77726 date=1291784978]
Whistler backcountry pass is unchanged from last year: $45 and a demeaning vetting process...

Wow, $45. It's been a few seasons since I've purchased this but the last time I did, it was maybe $28 and we thought that was getting pretty high compared to previous years. Times, they are a changing...

Of course, I just looked at lift ticket prices - $94!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

author=Spin Fast link=topic=18354.msg77884#msg77884 date=1291930891]
Of course, I just looked at lift ticket prices - $94!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never pay retail at Whistler.  Edge card is 1 day $77 and then $78 for each day after, or is less if you pay for 3 or 5 days in advance.  7-11s sell tickets approx $10 off.  If you pay for accommodation you can usually get a deal with the place where you stay.

If you have kids 7+ (that would cost for a ticket), find a bundle with kids free.  I booked a stay at alluradirect.com and got a 4 day early season ticket for $233 with a free kid.  I think other places would have similar deals.

I hear ya with the interrogation.Especially when everything is nicely packed away
in your pack.I remember paying $25 for a one way ticket and that was too much.

Reply to this TR

dec-5-2010-cowboy-ridge-whistler-backcountry
runningclouds
2010-12-07 21:09:38