Home > Trip Reports > December 6, 2010, ZBTS (Stevens Pass)

December 6, 2010, ZBTS (Stevens Pass)

12/6/10
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by silaswild on 12/6/10 1:16pm
Fun day at Stevens Pass where the Big Chief and backside chairs are still closed, so it is heavenly for backcountry skiers.   We found a variety of conditions from well preserved powder to wind buffed chalk and sun crust on our skin up Double Diamond and ski down Southern Cross, where we ran into Zach and Stephanie celebrating his birthday skiing some of the nicer snow.   With heavy downhill oriented geat they headed down  to the base lodge for beer and nachos while Jim and I continued out the ridge east of Stevens Pass ski area on an exploratory tour.   We skied 500' of nice steep boot top powder somewhere along the way, not sure if we can ever figure out how to get back there.  As sunset was approaching we reached Hwy 2 where a kind driver picked us up for the short ride back to the parking lot.  Jim enjoyed documenting my final turn of the day.

I recommend this tour if you are looking for more solitude and less attitude than a day at Mazama Ridge, however I suggest you bring a good sense of direction and plenty of energy.   Apologies to Stevens locals, if this is sharing any of your secrets.  We are calling it Zachs Birthday Tour at Stevens.
Nice! I did a lot of that today on the other side of Hwy 2...
I think we did the Skyline bowl tour. Zack and Stephanie pulled up to us as we were waiting for the ride back to the parking lot -- a pleasant surprise. And he told us to keep an eye out for you, but we were gone before the sunset.

Happy birthday Zack!

Silas, did you ski right into that Alder trap or was it on the side of the skin track or something?

Looks pretty out there!

So what's the story with the slide alder hole and the man in it? Is this maybe where the mythical C.H.U.D. comes from? (Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller) - google it.

How's the coverage/stability on Southern Cross?  Sounds like a fun day!

Zack and slide alder seem to be a common theme this am.

Nice tour. Happy b-day Zack.

Nice. I was back there on Saturday. Far as I am concerned they can keep the chairs closed another week or so ... also had an excellent end of day sunset run down Double Diamond, alpenglow lighting Glacier and Chiwaukums etc.
The stuff East of Dudley's, Highland Bowl, Wenatchee Bowl etc is not particularly a secret stash - when the backside chairs are running, you'll see tracks from 100s of people/weekend heading back there. Nearly all of them bootpacking.
As far as finding your 500 foot run again - try Google Earth. It's real handy for simulating a ground level or otherwise cockeyed view of terrain and trying to reconstruct what you might have done. Equally good for advance scouting. You'll see that it's really not that much farther to Yodelin, for instance ...

Reply to this TR

december-6-2010-zbts-stevens-pass
silaswild
2010-12-06 21:16:10