Home > Trip Reports > December 3, 2010, Jim Hill, Alder Warfare

December 3, 2010, Jim Hill, Alder Warfare

12/3/10
Posted by bramski on 12/6/10 9:51am
ack and I felt that with the favorable avy conditions, the reasonable amount of coverage, and the amount of distance we€™d be able to cover on old logging roads would get us a great shot at Big Jim Hill.  Unfortunately, we were very wrong.  We skinned the road until just past Henry Creek, shortcutted up to the road again about 500ft higher, and followed the road to it€™s end.  All in about an hour, then our very brutal traverse into the Jim Hill basin led us into an overgrown jungle of Alder.  After moving 1/4 of a mile in 45 minutes in deep thickets, and inventing the move that we will for future purposes refer to as €œThe Pommel Horse€, Zack and left to get some useful turns out of our day at Heather ridge.

Yeah, a failure, but it wasn€™t all bad.  The turns on the backside of Heather were really nice, and hardly chewed up.

Full TR with Video: http://www.bramski.org/trip-reports/jim-hill-alder-warfare/
The "pommel horse"? Does that mean what I think it means? ( ACK! ACK! )

Next time, you might try going up the shoulder on looker's right as you stare at the summit of Jim Hill. It's a bit less direct but lots less hassle. Also, you can approach from the top, and you have a good choice of lines. Only recommended with fresh snow or warmer temps as skinning through that forest can be highly unpleasant when it's icy.

The route shown on your topo passes through "clearings" ... horrid things grow in clearings. Topos are excellent but aerial photos can be very revealing.

Save yourself a pommeling.

Bram, thanks for your confirmation.  The upper slope was inviting viewing from Rock, but the below tree line looked needing a little more snow.

"The Pommel Horse" -
  1) Stem with right hand on pole/tree
  2) Lift left ski onto log with left hand (frog step kind of motion)
  3) Slide right ski under log and left ski forward (now your left foot is centered over the log so you can stand on it
  4) Step weight onto left foot and stand up while sliding right foot backwards out from under log and stemming/holding onto log with left hand
    5) Use right hand to tip right ski down and swivel so it can be put onto the log
    6) Resume skinning as you are now standing on the log

*Best done on a 30-40 degree sidehill

Kenji, glad to be of service :-).

If you follow the swale at the first left hairpin you made, on the west side of the creek, you can gain a bench and make a climbing traverse through old growth in to the lower basin of Henry Creek. This route can be dangerous with a lot of new snow and/or later in the season with morning sun as it crosses the toe of several large slide paths.

Somedays you get "pommeled," go the hard way, and fail.  Regardless we were still smiling on the way out.

Zack

Yeah...when I tried it the epic fail was .5inch raincrust all the way to the top.  My brother and I stayed West of Henry creek and stayed 100-500 verts above Henry the whole way.  still some alder but not too much. 

Have you tried the other side?  which side is better?

author=CookieMonster link=topic=18329.msg77611#msg77611 date=1291689241]

Next time, you might try going up the shoulder on looker's right as you stare at the summit of Jim Hill. It's a bit less direct but lots less hassle.

second this. that drainage at the bottom can be hell. here's a photo of the lookers right shoulder (once gained)

much better skinning on this side.

yep...that's where I went.  you'd think this looker would treat us better but she doesn't.  I saw evidence of some monster avi activity a couple years ago when I went.  debris the size of a small house which had slid almost 2000 verts.  amazing.  it was an epic rain event that caused it. 

Reply to this TR

december-3-2010-jim-hill-alder-warfare
bramski
2010-12-06 17:51:51