Home > Trip Reports > Decmber 05, 2010, Stevens Pass, Rock Mtn

Decmber 05, 2010, Stevens Pass, Rock Mtn

12/15/10
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Kenji on 12/6/10 2:37am
Big thanks for those broke a great trail in the previous days:
You can thank AleCapone for the great uptrack. The track was so expertly set that I didn't even feel like I was going uphill.

You are very welcome. It was my pleasure, and I'm flattered everybody liked the track.

Sorry the weather wasn't much better for you. At least you could see. Looks like you got a little further then we did. We turned back right at the top of the ridge when we experianced the same body moving winds, and other combination of undesirable elements.

I'm no stranger to skin skiing, tele boarding, split booting... etc. whatever gets you down safe.

Pretty sure it's ok to park there. You might want be cautious if the plows are out doing their thing.

So that's what the ridge looks like!  I went up with two others on Saturday and attempted to summit.  Not sure if it was you, but we met two others waiting just below the ridge for the weather to turn.  We pushed on, gained the ridge and then got blasted by winds I have never felt before.  If I had my eyes open they would get blasted by hail/snow and if I closed them they would start to freeze shut.  We made it about half way across the ridge and essentially said, 'screw this,' and headed down.

The top 1/3 was nice skiing and then 'rock mountain' lived up to its name and shredded our skis on bottom 2/3.  It was awesome to ski in the skin track and do pin point turns to avoid rocks.

Headed to Paradise on Sunday for more snow coverage.  It was awesome conditions down there in comparison to rock mountain.

Thanks for the superb skin track.

I saw your car and was more concerned with how late it was than where it was parked.

It looked like it was plowed for parking and I've seen people park there in the past.

Thanks for your concern.  Another 30 min, we'd have to use headlamps.  That may have been a good practice since I haven't skied with a headlamp for several years.

Good to know about the parking.  We'll go back soon to ski the West slope in powder.

Reply to this TR

decmber-05-2010-stevens-pass-rock-mtn
Kenji
2010-12-06 10:37:11