Home > Trip Reports > December 4, 2010, Crystal BC, Bullion Basi

December 4, 2010, Crystal BC, Bullion Basi

12/4/10
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Ritalin Kid on 12/4/10 1:00pm
What was supposed to be an all day event was cut short when I noticed my dog getting pretty cold in the wind and blowing snow.  We ended up doing short lap on the East Peak side of the basin before we headed down the mountain to watch my Huskies earn their way to a bowl game!

Snow and coverage were both pretty good, but a wind layer was beginning to form in places.

Short video of me and Zooey (my GSP).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpH6zlWMe9E
Hey, that was a really fun video. What skis are those?

Edit: I think they're DPS wailer, right?

your dog is awesome! did you train her to rock the snow so well? honestly, I'd love to feel safe and confident to bring my dog skiing with me. Love to know how you did train her. 

Edit: Does your dog wear a beacon? Id be afraid of tree wells with my dog...

author=cespare link=topic=18291.msg77442#msg77442 date=1291530773]
Edit: I think they're DPS wailer, right?

Correct DPS Wailer 112RP

author=MattT link=topic=18291.msg77444#msg77444 date=1291532781]
how you did train her. 
Edit: Does your dog wear a beacon? Id be afraid of tree wells with my dog...

I didn't do any specific training related to skiing with her, but she took to it pretty naturally.  Sometimes she investigates tree wells (especially if there are birds in the tree), but she hasn't ever fallen in one that she couldn't climb out.  The common hazard for dogs when skiing is actually the skier.  Some dogs get too close and get cut by ski edges.  My dog doesn't do this on the way down but sometimes on the way up.

I surveyed the forum a year ago about putting a beacon on a dog and the consensus was it isn't a good idea primarily for a multi-victim avalanche scenario where you'd want to prioritize digging out people.  I often ski with just my dog, so in this case it might not be a bad idea if you have an extra beacon and a dog pack that you can put it in...but I don't do it.

How you liking the 112 RP's.
I'm on the waiting list as by the time I decided to buy they were ALL sold out. Hopefully I'll get mine about Feb.
How do they ski?

BTW, I ski with my dog but never consider putting a beacon on him. Too risky when skiing with others. If I spend 5 mins searching and 5 mins digging and it's my dog I end up rescuing while my human partner is suffocating and dying... I'd never forgive myself. I love him... but not much.
Beacon on him if it's just the two of you.... mmmmh never thought of that... still wouldn't
recommend it though.

Nice vid.

author=Scotsman link=topic=18291.msg77490#msg77490 date=1291610516]

Beacon on him if it's just the two of you.... mmmmh never thought of that... still wouldn't
recommend it though.

why not for solo trips?

Awesome video -- love the sound of your voice cheering her on.

Totally agree with Chris re: beacon on the dog -- I've spent some time looking for older frequency beacons that I might use with our pooch, so you could search separately for her afterward, but they're difficult to find.  Really, if I'm out with the dog I try to be more conservative in my choices because she doesn't deserve to die because I wanted to go skiing.

Re: solo trips, I could see the merit there, but I'd be worried about the potential for running into other groups.  You could always turn it off if you found you weren't alone in the area, of course.

author=MattT link=topic=18291.msg77519#msg77519 date=1291620161]
why not for solo trips?

Think about it.....

Never, ever, ever.

If I come across your dog wearing a beacon I'll cut it off him, turn it off and hurl it into the distance.

There are dog and sled beacon systems available... search.

author=MattT link=topic=18291.msg77519#msg77519 date=1291620161]
why not for solo trips?

I agree with Marcus. You could run into other groups. You might be skiing down and joined by another group or if you have a dog like mine that wanders off and joins other skiers. Lots of potential scenarios where it could become a problem despite your best intentions.

author=PNWBrit link=topic=18291.msg77534#msg77534 date=1291655318]
Think about it.....

Never, ever, ever.

If I come across your dog wearing a beacon I'll cut it off him, turn it off and hurl it into the distance.

There are dog and sled beacon systems available... search.

I'm not sure how you really feel about this  ;)

Why is it that helmet cam vids always make me feel like I need Dramamine to watch them?

author=Scotsman link=topic=18291.msg77490#msg77490 date=1291610516]
How you liking the 112 RP's.
I'm on the waiting list as by the time I decided to buy they were ALL sold out. Hopefully I'll get mine about Feb.
How do they ski?

I didn't get enough time on them for a full evaluation, but the few turns I did get in semi-wind skinned snow was pretty fun!

The feel is both floaty and turny.

I have yet to ski with any dogs who don't follow their masters track or the track of someone else in the party. Also while climbing, my dog stays right on my tail and doesn't follow proper spacing. Point is, I fail to see too many scenarios where a dog is buried in an avalanche where the dog's owner is not.

I cut my pooch pretty good skiing down a few weeks ago, nearly severed the tendon on his front leg. He seems to have gotten the message, the last 2 times out he stays back a bit. Though he still has an annoying habit of getting too close and stepping on my tails during kick turns.

author=Ritalin Kid link=topic=18291.msg77538#msg77538 date=1291656261]
I didn't get enough time on them for a full evaluation, but the few turns I did get in semi-wind skinned snow was pretty fun!

The feel is both floaty and turny.

I'm hoping they will turn out to be like a lightweight S7... What you think? What did you mount them with. Can I touch you?

author=Mofro link=topic=18291.msg77541#msg77541 date=1291656787]
I have yet to ski with any dogs who don't follow their masters track or the track of someone else in the party.

You haven't skied with Scotsman's dog.

author=Joedabaker link=topic=18291.msg77548#msg77548 date=1291659225]
You haven't skied with Scotsman's dog.

Not true, Chugach and Nash got along great.

In my glorious experience with Chugach the beast violates so many BC etiquette codes that there should be a wanted picture of him at every outdoor retailer.
I know, I know side up with the pup with the crystal blue eyes. That's part of his master plan.
Poor Choogy... As he scampers off only to be found hours later with others who have taken the bait and fed the four legged tramp till his belly leaves a skid mark in the snow.
That tongue hanging, squirrel chasing, skintrack pissing, line stealing mongrel has everyone fooled, but not me.

author=Mofro link=topic=18291.msg77541#msg77541 date=1291656787]
Point is, I fail to see too many scenarios where a dog is buried in an avalanche where the dog's owner is not.

Here's some instructions that might help. From the hysterical Climbing Tales of Terror! by T. Knight.

author=Joedabaker link=topic=18291.msg77557#msg77557 date=1291661378]
In my glorious experience with Chugach the beast violates so many BC etiquette codes that there should be a wanted picture of him at every outdoor retailer.
I know, I know side up with the pup with the crystal blue eyes. That's part of his master plan.
Poor Choogy... As he scampers off only to be found hours later with others who have taken the bait and fed the four legged tramp till his belly leaves a skid mark in the snow.
That tongue hanging, squirrel chasing, skintrack pissing, line stealing mongrel has everyone fooled, but not me.

How can you not love my Chuuuggy Wooogy Boooogy...... he's a precious puppy wuuppy.
He's giving you the evil eye Joedabaker >:(

Love the video!  I thought that it was normal to ski with the dog.  After a couple of spectacular dog-human crashes, mine learned quickly to run just behind and to the side.  Because I don't want him to bother other people, I tend to only take him on routes where he can keep up/stay right by me...those tend to have a relatively low avalanche hazard.  Has any one figured out the key to keeping them off of the backs of your skis while skinning up in powder? 

Patience and training.  We trained our dog to respond to "off" whenever she's on something we don't want her on -- we use the same command with skis and it works pretty well.  Helps to have a bag of treats when you're working on it.  I find she'll still try to cheat up onto the tails every once in a while, if it's really unconsolidated even in the skin track.

When you come to a stop and your dog is running downhill at you keep your poles between them and your ski edges.

In fact just get your dog to keep away from your poles at all times then use them as area of safety to keep him away from your edges. Mine is now reluctant to get in the trunk of car if poles are in there.

author=Scotsman link=topic=18291.msg77561#msg77561 date=1291662291]
How can you not love my Chuuuggy Wooogy Boooogy...... he's a precious puppy wuuppy.
He's giving you the evil eye Joedabaker >:(

Those are laser beams!
Ever since Stewart went to college. I think the empty nester is crowding Chugach with attention.
Notice how I incorporated a pile driving term for extra points.

Reply to this TR

december-4-2010-crystal-bc-bullion-basi
Ritalin Kid
2010-12-04 21:00:00