Home > Trip Reports > November 28, 2010, Mt Baker, Lake Ann

November 28, 2010, Mt Baker, Lake Ann

11/28/10
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Kenji on 11/29/10 5:17am
Saw a fair number of people around the Table mtn over the weekend.  John, Paul, David and me, broke tail most of the way to Lake Ann on Sunday. The coverage at the valley bottom was pretty good, but required some meandering around to avoid open creeks.  Once we followed the summer trail on the hill side, going got much easier.  There were many evidences of recent avy activities, maybe right after/during the last dump.  The snow pack seems to have mostly settled except around steep rocky slopes in the afternoon sun.  We skied over an old crown (~1'), a wind slab on surface hoar.

The visibility was somewhat poor, especially when we reached the lake.  Skinned up toward the Shuksan Arm until we decided to turn around while we could see some.  Of course, it cleared later as we were getting ready to head out on the trail.

Beautiful tour with a lot of ski potential.  Another one to come back.
shuksan poking out in the late sun

Thanks for breaking trail.  It helped.

author=sb link=topic=18211.msg76905#msg76905 date=1291066978]
Thanks for breaking trail.  It helped.

Thank you for blazing xcd trail.  I've been following it ever since... ;)

Did you do this tour on XCD gear?  I'm curious how often you needed to use skins, if ever.

No, that was just metaphorically speaking about his earlier work.

Yes, my 10th mtn would have worked fine except a few pitches, but I was testing my NTN gear, which seemed overkill at times, but toured/skied well.

Reply to this TR

november-28-2010-mt-baker-lake-ann
Kenji
2010-11-29 13:17:30