Home > Trip Reports > Nov 28 Lichtenberg Mountain

Nov 28 Lichtenberg Mountain

11/15/10
WA Stevens Pass
Posted by Jake the Brit on 11/29/10 4:18am
Skinned up the SW slope of Lichtenberg at 10am with 5 of us and Keller the dog.

Deep unconsolodated powder up through the trees.
We split up in the boulder field at 4500' as Keller the dog's enthusiasm had got him a ski cut on one of his legs. Nancy & Jeremy decended with the dog and reported triggering some small slabs (up to 8") on rollovers, not much propagation, but the top half of the snowpack was definately heavier than the bottom.

Ari, YakNam & I headed up to the saddle but stopped 150' short of the top as it was getting late. There was some wind affected snow higher up, a minor shooting crack.
Descended the SW gully and slope with stable conditions. Coverage was good on the top section, the middle 1/3 needed pruning shears and the bottom was so good that we lapped up twice more.

Photos on YN's camera. Green up, red down.

Jeremy mailed me to post that they decended 'stupidly steep, complex & bouldery terrain', the bluffs on the S/sw aspect, and that's proably horrendous because those guys can ski very well indeed.
Sounds like a good day out, not as fun as if I had been there I'm sure.  ;)
Photos please Yaknam.  Especially any faceshots of Jake biting it, those are the ones that make me laugh.  Only Jake can handle non stop laughter from others when he falls. 

Jeremy and Ari ski well indeed, they ski like pros even backwards, damn I hope to be that  good someday. 

Hope to join up with you guys next time, the seasons cold got the best of me and had me down for 3 days.  But I did get some good ski movie time in.

...I reckon I could make you actually die laughing if I skiied into a lamppost & knocked myself out.

Sadly the wrecks are much more minor since I've stopped riding homemade gear. I've got a new set of Sparks and am very much enjoying the beauty of the technology. Love this powder.

Here are some pics :)

and one more.....

How was the coverage in general?  Were you hitting rocks/bushes much?

Only hit 1 rock. Coverage was OK, there is enough.
The issue is the Alder, of which there is a lot mid-slope.
Recent dump should improve things

Reply to this TR

nov-28-lichtenberg-mountain
Jake the Brit
2010-11-29 12:18:23