Home > Trip Reports > September 6, 2004, Muir Snowfield

September 6, 2004, Muir Snowfield

9/6/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 9/6/04 8:42pm
jimjar (Jim) and I headed to Muir and found what everyone else who unglued themselves from their lazyboys did.  Some of the best conditions for the month of September almost ever.  We hiked/skinned under blues skies with a nice breeze that was quite refreshing.  At Muir we enjoyed our Guiness while we marinated in the sun.  We started carving our way down around 3 ish.  I saw 4 skiers (some rando and free-heeling) come down before me.  Hey Charles I believe you passed me on the way up somewhere around Pan Pt?  On the way down we also bumped into pbelitz (Paul), who was also up there with Sky and Dave?.  I believe that was Sky skinning at the base of the exposed section of snow/dirt/rock/ice, just after the carry.  Anyways after our chat Paul I hope you found the motivation to get up there and enjoy the harvest.
;D

I was with Sky and Corey. I think Corey was skinning. And yes, after 5 hours and 30 minutes, I did make it to Muir; thanks for the encouragement. You guys were so right, the snow was incredible for the upper part, and quite good on the lower part.

Paul, good to hear you decided to keep heading up. It was worth the climb. What a change from last year when I broke an 11 month streak due to bad snow conditions in September. Happy to say that after this ride I have my first full year of turns under my belt. It's all down hill from this point on. Right?

Paul:  nice photo.  the snow looks creamy and tasty...

-kam

Paul:  nice photo.  the snow looks creamy and tasty...

-kam
I'm willing to wager that it was more fun than your August turns!!
;) ;)

Pic here for those who haven't seen it!

wow, i really need my licence!

I'm willing to wager that it was more fun than your August turns!!
;) ;)

Pic here for those who haven't seen it!

haha, yeah... because our August turns were clearly better... how come nobody took any photos of the radness?

Hey man, my August turns were sweet! Now your August turns were.....something else.....

Paul:

hands down.  you guys got WAY more turns than i; i counted a total of 11 that day.  but i would have been satisfied with just one turn ;D.  say, i'm looking for a September patch, one that is way up, say 7k.  want to go get beat up?

-kam

I've been absent from these TRs for a bit, sorry for the delay in responding. snoslut, I guess I didn't recognize you from photos - I think Silas and I passed you just before Pebble Creek. And the group of 4 skiing down was probably us, with Pete and Becky.

Paul, Sky, and Corey, I think we saw you, and I should have skied over to find out who it was, but we were trying to stick to the edges of new snow away from the uptrack. Hope to meet you in person another time.

From today's telemetry and the week's forecast, it looks like there should be more new snow up higher. Now if we can just get another good weather window...

Reply to this TR

september-6-2004-muir-snowfield
snoslut
2004-09-07 03:42:40