Home > Trip Reports > November 23, 2010, North Seattle on skinny skis

November 23, 2010, North Seattle on skinny skis

11/23/10
WA elsewhere
Posted by Susan Ashlock on 11/23/10 6:25am
Since Ravenna isn't yet lift-served, I decided that this post belonged under "Backcountry" ...

Very excited by the snow on my drive home from Fremont at 9:30 p.m. and not excited about sitting in the house while it warmed up from its 41 degrees F, I hopped on the x-c skis and made a run to the QFC at U-Village for some hot chocolate and exploration in the Wedgewood neighborhood. Conditions were good for the most part, but a bit sticky in areas where leaves (and water) had collected.  My favorite run of the evening was Ravenna Boulevard: well-packed, fast, and windy (the equivalent of a black diamond for the x-c skier). 

The ski into work along the Burke Gilman was pretty good, and would have been suitable for skate skis if I had them.  Things were a bit thin in places, such as where UW decided to plow a section of the trail.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/susanashlock/5201528021/in/set-72157625328668587/

It looks like the Burke is melting out quickly now that it's getting some sun, so I'm not sure how we'll get home  Bus? Ski?  We'll see!
I always enjoy hearing about people skiing in Seattle. I was too busy with errands to get out on my skis today, sorry to say.

Awesome -- I XC skied to my physical therapy appointment this morning.  Fantastic snow through the North Seattle Community College campus...

Snowpocalypse 2010?!  That's great!  ;D

Doesn't skiing in Seattle mean the mayor is out of there next term?

author=T. Eastman link=topic=18097.msg76556#msg76556 date=1290581740]
Doesn't skiing in Seattle mean the mayor is out of there next term?

Looking at my car after a day of errands, I'm waiting to hear Seattleites complain about salt damage to their cars (after complaining two years ago about no salt).  Just wait...  ;)

author=Lowell_Skoog link=topic=18097.msg76564#msg76564 date=1290618420]
I'm waiting to hear Seattleites complain about salt damage to their cars (after complaining two years ago about no salt).  Just wait...   ;)

I'm going to start the complaining.  My bicycle is full of salt.  I'm worried about my drivetrain!

Nice, Susan!  I hit the Cowen Park Headwall down into Ravenna first thing Monday morning, getting in about 1-1/2 turns.  Let's hope for more in-city skiing with La Nina.

Nice.  Lived just off Greenlake, on 77th,  back in college ('70-'75).  Often took the detour through Ravenna from the U - What a great place and memories.  Would pick up an Eskimo Pie on the warm days from the little store near the foot of the bridge.  Used to be a rope swing under that bridge - big one...  don't suppose it's still around..  dg

Not sure what the problem is arcticcat2, but that's not really okay here.  Post removed.

Reply to this TR

november-23-2010-north-seattle-on-skinny-skis
Susan Ashlock
2010-11-23 14:25:05